PDA

View Full Version : the v8s seem to be sucking gaskets more often now

winfred
01-04-2005, 10:51 PM
just did the 3rd set in as many weeks, right after a cold start spray some carb cleaner under the intake, if the idle changes it's time for a set of gaskets and while your at it a pcv plate. if your getting lotsa check engine codes and or a crappy idle it's a good chance it's leaking, i've been seeing 02 sensor 1 and 2, 02 sensor control 1 and 2, hot film airmass sensor and a few other codes i can't think of at the moment with these leaks

Elekta
01-04-2005, 11:28 PM
what the mileage on these gasket cases? I;m at 88k

gyad it's great seeing ou get pummled...it won't be christmas until sc gets at least 60 points

winfred
01-04-2005, 11:36 PM
it seems to be age as some of these have been done once allready by looking at the date codes molded into the lower gaskets, the 95 740il i did today had 98 gaskets probably done 99-00 as 98 was when they were made

what the mileage on these gasket cases? I;m at 88k

gyad it's great seeing ou get pummled...it won't be christmas until sc gets at least 60 points

Kamil
01-05-2005, 10:22 AM
*note to self - stay away from BMW V8 engines (?)*

callen
01-05-2005, 10:22 AM
3 sets in 150K miles on my 94 530i. Same symptoms as what Winfred mentioned..........if you have erratic idle good chance they're bad....they get hard as rocks from the heat....and as your also in Texas..bet yours probably need attention....be sure to search for Winfreds tips on procedure, makes it bearable. Beutiful Touring by the way.
Callen

DueyT
01-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Kamil...water pumps, head gaskets, timing belts, VANOS bits...are 8's the only engines with problems?

I never grew up on the sound of a big 6, but I did on V8's...I suppose I'm a bit nostalgic...that, and silky torque and 300+ hp is worth the pain and disappointment I might feel in the future. "Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all." :D

Cheers,
Duey

SharkmanBMW
01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
you are right on the money Duey.... silky smooth torque..... ya baby!!!!! mine is away for the winter, and i could use a torque blast right about now as a pick me up!
my 1990 honda civic just cannot deliver!!!
torque is like heroin.... highly addictive!

DueyT
01-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Chris, you can live vicariously through me and my during the winter! :D

I love torque...my TDI gives it to me from about 0-30 :p, the 540 from 0-something fast, and the Charger w/440 is just plain torque at its most raw!...

Cheers,
Duey

Johntee540
01-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Did my Intake manifold gaskets and PCV Plate at 160k. Once you are in you may as well do the Plate. She runs like a raped ape. Gotta love those 8's on the highway. Long legs that dont quit. - JT

Kamil
01-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Kamil...water pumps, head gaskets, timing belts, VANOS bits...are 8's the only engines with problems?

I never grew up on the sound of a big 6, but I did on V8's...I suppose I'm a bit nostalgic...that, and silky torque and 300+ hp is worth the pain and disappointment I might feel in the future. "Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all." :D

Cheers,
Duey

:)

I grew up on sounds of an japanesse 4-cyl, so I'm quite happy with the big 6 noises, even with a few rusty "speed holes" in the muffler. :D

rockyfeller
01-05-2005, 11:42 PM
I need to do these too pretty soon. Getting the O2 error code. And sometimes even the scary transmission "limp mode". What would I expect to pay a tech to do the gaskets and PCV plate (parts/labor)?

632 Regal
01-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I need to do these too pretty soon. Getting the O2 error code. And sometimes even the scary transmission "limp mode". What would I expect to pay a tech to do the gaskets and PCV plate (parts/labor)?.

rockyfeller
01-06-2005, 04:25 PM
YEEOUTCH! R u serious??? Just spent $1300 on brake/radiator/tune-up and another $900 on my previously mentioned alarm system nightmare....Now I need to drop another grand???? Right now I am in the process of wiring in a $1200 sound system and I have money saved up for Type 5 wheels, I spent $700 on a euro/HID conversion.....My car is so mint and I love it, but all these little maintence problems are adding up into some serious bills. Buying the car was the cheap part. Mantainence costs are riduclous for a car this age. My number 1 expense is this car. It has finally struck me...Is it worth it???? This is the frustration of a 10 yr old car owner. Logic asks me....Why not pick-up a 2 yr old E46 and save me shelling $1000s into this car? Everyone else asks me why I'm wasting so much dough on an "ol' skool" car.

Elekta
01-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I bought my touring for $13.5 and in three years I have at least a total of $21k all in.

I think I have 15-30k in miles to drive before my next repair over $500 and frankly I wouldn't trade it for a $21k e39 or even an $35k e39 540iT.

Go back outside and take a look at how beautiful your car is, and remind yourself of why you chose the E34.

Then just be a little choosier on your non-essential mods. i.e I still dont' have my t-stars or my keyless entry....yet, but my confidence in the safety and reliability is way strong.

hth
geoff

632 Regal
01-06-2005, 05:56 PM
just break out the tools and do it yourself with a case of beer and less than 100 bux. There is only a couple people on here that actually spend the big bux having someone else do it, either they dont want to do it, dont know how and are afraid to try, or unreasonably rich.

I fall into the catagory that contains little money, a few tools, not wanting to do it, like the car too much to sell it and want to drink that case of beer working on my car.

Zoom Zoom...

rockyfeller
01-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Yup Jeff, for sure it's the "handyman" who can tackle the jobs on this car and save mega $$$... I'm defintely quite handy but lack certain essential tools. I need to invest instead of paying my mechanic's rent. I do the small stuff but all this big stuff intimidates me. I gotta look into the procedure. (100s of you guys have dropped your cars with springs and I intend to tackle the job this spring myself) Thank God for this forum and Bruno's site, a lot can be learned, and I pass knowledge all the time to the numerous "nieve" E34 owners out there I run into.

Paul in NZ
01-07-2005, 01:18 AM
ALL cars run on money,even toyotas nissans and hondas need headgaskets,radiators and water pumps...I have a saying..have a car spend money.....