PDA

View Full Version : "Check Control" error message on the display?

bahnstormer
01-04-2005, 12:59 PM
so in teh 90 535ia i tried to clean out the a/c

Klima-Cleaner is a high quality aqueous branded product which removes bacteria, fungi and other germs from airconditioning units without the need for disassembly. Together with the added odor neutralizers, its fungicidal and bactericidal agents combine to produce an extremely mild recipe with a broad spectrum of activity and high substantivity which will not irritate the mucous membranes. Any recommendations issued by the vehicle manufacturer regarding the cleaning of the air-conditioning system must be complied with.

after i sprayed it in, i waited 20 min for the foam to finish its job, and
as per instructions tried to start the car and turn the heat on full blast for
30 minutes.

the car didn't start though...the obc was flashing crazy things at me.
let it sit overnight, still doesn't start, obc shows - 37C when its 44F here
and the display below the tach shows check control owners manual
i disconected the battery to try and reset everything, so its sitting there now

what do you think might have happened?

ryan roopnarine
01-04-2005, 01:05 PM
where did you spray that stuff? you are usually supposed to spray it into any "suctionable" area in the passenger footwell or into the air intake where the windshield wipers are.

bahnstormer
01-04-2005, 01:22 PM
i sprayed it into the vents..central on teh dash and the side vents too

ryan roopnarine
01-04-2005, 01:46 PM
when you say "central" do you mean the vents with the thumbwheels on them or the windshield defogger vents? most of that disinfectant stuff works by killing the germs in the evaporator area, not by acting locally at each vent. if there is a "backdraft" around the microfilter, you were likely supposed to shoot it in there and let the system distribute it with the ventilation ON. the air intake at the wipers also works ok for the same purpose. my hunch is that the liquid likely leaked into your OBC and caused some problem with the CODE function, causing you not to be able to start your car.

bahnstormer
01-04-2005, 01:56 PM
okay i see.
i sprayed it in everywhere...inside. nothing by the windshield wipers, all internal

i thought it might be the obc code acting up cuz it wasn't getting sparked, just
crankin....

i'm looking for a obc removal guide too..

Javier
01-04-2005, 06:35 PM
OBC shows -37C if the temp. probe circuit is open (when removing front bumper, for example). May be it is only the connecting plug that got some chemical and is having bad connections.

Javier

bahnstormer
01-04-2005, 06:48 PM
perhaps? who knows what that foam did..
guess i sprayed it into too many places.
but my interior sure does smell nice =]

shogun
01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Minus 37 degree C means that thing is dead.
It does not go down any further.
Usual culprit is the temperature sensor in the front or the wires connecting to there are oxydized or broken.
Check that first.

ryan roopnarine
01-04-2005, 10:33 PM
does the car start at this point?

Javier
01-04-2005, 10:38 PM
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_36.htm

shogun
01-06-2005, 01:16 AM
if you have no airbag on passenger side (RHD). Open the glove box, there is a plastic piece/cover towards the side of the BC. Remove the M 10 (?) screw, the cover moves down a bit. Now you can reach to the back of the BC thru a small slot there and you can push the BC or move the lever to open position.
That is how it works on the E32, not many people know this trick. All remove the radio first.
Give it a try, maybe it works on the E34 too. Easy and time saving.
This pic is from a LHD, so it should be easier to do it on an LHD car, as the lever is easier to reach
http://www.thee32register.co.uk/attach/47423/Glovebox2.jpg

But I have a lot of space, cause my audio part is in the trunk and the operating panel in the dash is very short. Rear panel in the armrest between the rear seats has the same size

http://www.arcor.de/palb/alben/49/622249/1024_3035653566343063.jpg

bahnstormer
02-09-2005, 09:44 AM
yeah as an update, we replaced the obc and all is well
upon further inspection the orignal obc must have shorted out
or gotten the cleaning fluid on it some how...

all is well =] and it smells great too =]