PDA

View Full Version : If any of you, Martin, Dick, Jr etc.. are trying to get ahold of

Bill R.
01-04-2005, 10:29 AM
me you'll have to use the private message thingie... it seems my email has been screwed up for the last couple of days..Still not working either..

billb
01-04-2005, 10:54 AM
me you'll have to use the private message thingie... it seems my email has been screwed up for the last couple of days..Still not working either..
You will recall my oil filter housing incident from two weeks ago. Also the part about the oil pressure light coming on after I washed the engine. Well, I got all my parts in and installed. New o-ring and gasket from Crown BMW in Greensboro, new oil pressure switch from Autozone (Niehoff brand). Bought a mechanical gauge just to test with, and rigged up a fitting using the old switch, drilled out, with a brass fitting threaded in. At startup I was seeing over 60psi. So, I drive around for a few days, with all behaving normally. Drive 10 miles to a buddy's house yesterday, no problem. Go 5 miles from there to play 18 holes of golf. Take him back home afterwards. Drive 2 miles to Home Depot. Drive 10 miles home. Not once do I see the warning light come on during the whole day. This morning, I cranked up, drove 2 miles to the bank, left the engine running, then 2 miles from the bank to work. When I arrived at work, and idled down before shutting down, the oil pressure light came on very weakly.

Your thoughts? Bad switch? I'm running 15W50 Mobil1, with about 2000 miles on this oil. It's no more noisier than normal. I ordered a VDO 0-100 psi oil pressure gauge last week, but it won't be in for a few days (also ordered the adapter block that lets me retain the stock oil pressure swith, and add a gauge sending unit).

Thanks

Bill R.
01-04-2005, 11:40 AM
you get the other gauge hooked up... How low did the idle drop when the oil pressure light came on.. If the idle speed drops too low then its possible that light would come on.

You will recall my oil filter housing incident from two weeks ago. Also the part about the oil pressure light coming on after I washed the engine. Well, I got all my parts in and installed. New o-ring and gasket from Crown BMW in Greensboro, new oil pressure switch from Autozone (Niehoff brand). Bought a mechanical gauge just to test with, and rigged up a fitting using the old switch, drilled out, with a brass fitting threaded in. At startup I was seeing over 60psi. So, I drive around for a few days, with all behaving normally. Drive 10 miles to a buddy's house yesterday, no problem. Go 5 miles from there to play 18 holes of golf. Take him back home afterwards. Drive 2 miles to Home Depot. Drive 10 miles home. Not once do I see the warning light come on during the whole day. This morning, I cranked up, drove 2 miles to the bank, left the engine running, then 2 miles from the bank to work. When I arrived at work, and idled down before shutting down, the oil pressure light came on very weakly.

Your thoughts? Bad switch? I'm running 15W50 Mobil1, with about 2000 miles on this oil. It's no more noisier than normal. I ordered a VDO 0-100 psi oil pressure gauge last week, but it won't be in for a few days (also ordered the adapter block that lets me retain the stock oil pressure swith, and add a gauge sending unit).

Thanks

Martin in Bellevue
01-04-2005, 01:25 PM
I'll use the messaging when needed. Thanks for getting that stuff together for us.

I put the 16" wheels with the p zero nero's back on the car last night. It is getting cold here. All the shrubbery is giving up to the weather & the ground is getting hard, as it were. I'd prefer the snow to come before & up to Christmas, but nobody asked. I'm ready for spring.

Martin

winfred
01-04-2005, 01:29 PM
i've had op switches get weak and come on early many times

billb
01-04-2005, 02:45 PM
i've had op switches get weak and come on early many timesbut it's awfully fishy that the factory one lets go, then the Niehoff replacement lets go in a similar fashion a couple of days later...awaiting the VDO for real-time monitoring.

Thanks, Winfred and Bill.

Elekta
01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
How funny that I washed my engine the other day and toasted my OP switch as well. Those warning messages certainly are a fright, even when the motor's purring like a cat.

Only $12 from the stealer, so I dropped in the oem, and no probs since. I guess you are asking for it whenever you wash your engine, but I'd been trying to locate a coolant link...pretty sure it's the WP. Getting coolant system pressure tested at Saythers right now.

However. On wire loom headed to the OP switch there were two wires branching off that ended with metal tips just hanging there. I wonder where those go to? This is on the v8.

Paul in NZ
01-04-2005, 08:59 PM
there were two wires branching off that ended with metal tips just hanging there. I wonder where those go to? This is on the v8.

They are there to operate the clutch for the switchable supercharger :p

Jr ///M5
01-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey Bill R.!!!

I had a problem with my email a few weeks back also. It turned out there was a "mail" item that would only let about 5 messages through and then it would kick out the server as if the connection had dropped out. Finally, a call to Insight Broadband and after explaining the problem to the tech, he asked for my password and then proceeded to find out exactly what was causing the problem. That's when he found the piece of mail that was dropping out the server. He said, "I'm going to nuke that one"...after that, he told me to try the mail again. It started downloading mail that was backlogged for a week!....I had just assumed it was a mail server problem since everything else worked ok. Hope your's is as simple as a phone call to the Cox Cable company...

Jr

winfred
01-04-2005, 09:23 PM
if it's what i am thinking about it's just the weird way they splice on the lugs and join the battery/alt/starter cables on the early v8s

They are there to operate the clutch for the switchable supercharger :p

Elekta
01-04-2005, 11:36 PM
sounds about right winfred, it seemed like those wires wanted to go to the alternator.

gitn ready for a big quail shoot this weekend in Cotulla. I am stoked

billb
01-05-2005, 03:14 PM
but it's awfully fishy that the factory one lets go, then the Niehoff replacement lets go in a similar fashion a couple of days later...awaiting the VDO for real-time monitoring.

Thanks, Winfred and Bill.My VDO gauge shipped yesterday, should arrive by Friday. That'll be my weekend project (and a birthday present from me to me!)

Then I leave Monday for a lovely week in Mexico...for work.

billb
01-06-2005, 11:57 PM
My VDO gauge shipped yesterday, should arrive by Friday. That'll be my weekend project (and a birthday present from me to me!)

Then I leave Monday for a lovely week in Mexico...for work.
Everything actually came in today, so I installed it all tonight. Took about 2.5 hours to do, start to finish. I bought the adapter block too so that I can still run the stock idiot light. Cold start, oil pressure was 60-65. After 5-10 minutes of idle, it was holding at around 45 psi. Would go to 60 when revved. I'll shoot some pics over the weekend of the gauge. It matches the dash pretty well, but I'm not certain on my installation location. It's very visible, but looks a little funny in the gauge cup.

Ironically, the Niehoff OP switch I just installed last week went completely kaput today. It would not register 0 oil pressure (engine off) at startup. Junk. I had ordered one from a company other than BMA out of NH, and installed it when I did the sending unit. It's all good again!

winfred
01-07-2005, 12:08 AM
it's not hard to kill off the ashtray and stick a couple gauges in there, plus you get to keep the cubby hole infront of the ashtray for crap if you don't pop for the overpriced unit that goes there, i did a little engine turning on the piece of aluiminum i mounted the gauges in, i have volts and af ratio in there and am planning on a a pillar dual pod for op and o temp
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/gauges