PDA

View Full Version : Blower speed switch pulls/pushes a wire - where does it go?

NielsGalan
01-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Is it attached to the sword? Resistor pack?

Any info? How does this physically work?

thanks,
Niels

Bill R.
01-04-2005, 10:16 AM
speed control is a rotary switch with no linkage on it... We don't get the diesel cars here so we don't know what the switch looks like.

Is it attached to the sword? Resistor pack?

Any info? How does this physically work?

thanks,
Niels

NielsGalan
01-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Oh, I see. I just thought you guys didn't like me :-)

In my car the 3 push/pull levers which regulate the air flow from the top, center and bottom vents are attached to thick metal wires in a tube, and they do "something" mechanical.

The same goes for the blower speed regulator, and I am trying to work out why it doesn't work at certain speeds. The symtoms sure sound the same as yours "over there". I just assumed that the inside of the blower mechanics were the same.

JonE
01-04-2005, 08:03 PM
The E34's here in the US of that vintage will have the "sword" resistor. When my sword failed it was intermittent on fan speeds 1,2,3 and always worked on "4" or high. There are replacement instruction on Bruno's site for left hand drive cars, and I've heard that sword replacement might be more tricky on the right hand drive cars.
My 2cents worth.
Jon

Paul in NZ
01-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Niels I can beleive that the slide levers have cables that operate vents/dampers to regulate and direct air flow but surely the rotary fan speed selector operates directly the pot or switches for the fan..the only other thing is that there is a very short cable that goes to a potentiometer or switches for the fan speed,trythis (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HA61&mospid=47372&prod=19890600&hg=64&fg=99) link for the online etk,i hope i have selected your model