PDA

View Full Version : OT - how to send $$ to tiny island off coast of japan...?

RobPatt
01-03-2005, 01:03 PM
I need to send money to a local in Okino-erabu Japan (a small island two islands north of Okinawa). There's no Western Union, I don't have their bank account info either.... any ideas? (and despite driving a black E34 like the terrorists in iraq, i'm not a terrorist sending money, it's to my father-in-law...) :-) Thanks. -Rob '93 525ia.

Patrick
01-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Without a Western Union -the safest way I can think of is to get their bank info and do a bank wire transfer. It would cost about $30-40 probably but you know for sure they would get it. You might be able to get creative using a credit card and a cash advance but I'm not sure how or if any bank or business would go for that there. Barring sending cash in the mail internationally (which I have done successfully but it's a gamble) you're going to need more assistance from your father-in-law.
You could try FedEx or the USPS and pay for the option that provides the absolute most tracking and hope it works.

pismojeff
01-03-2005, 01:19 PM
wonder if you could use Paypal for that type of thing?

Astroboy
01-03-2005, 01:43 PM
cost of postage and I believe that you can increase the coverage based on the value of the contents. It might come out cheaper fee-wise going that route. I've never tried it, but you may want to look into it. Should the item get lost, I don't know how you would provide proof of value, though...You may need to look into that, first.
Aloha,
Astroboy

bahnstormer
01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
does he have internet? use paypal!

Dan in NZ
01-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Paypal! I used it for the first time recently, to send money to the USA to buy a bmw-pio/m interface cable. The fees are minimal, and it's simple to use.

MBXB
01-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Rob,

Try International Money Order depending on the amount.

http://www.usps.com/money/sendingmoney/sendmoneyinternationally.htm

Paul in NZ
01-03-2005, 05:55 PM
or you can just send him a cheque,will take a bit longer to clear thats all.You can write it out for yen or dollars.....Thats what I have done for transactins with people in Australia,andThe UK .The US are usually PAYPAL freindly,just open an account and click on the send money,I dont think the recipient even needs a paypal account!
click here for info (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/ema/index-outside)

632 Regal
01-03-2005, 08:01 PM
how many yen fit in a gallon jar?

shogun
01-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Very convenient also here in Japan and even to that tiny Island near Okinawa it will be no problem. Any small village has a postal office. Prices are very reasonable, and they have cash dispensers all over the country and even accept foreign credit cards, which is not usual here for other banks, Foreign credit cards are often not accepted by the cash machines, as the japanese cash and credit cards have a different magnetic stripe on the back.
We had such probs when some engineers from Germany came over last year for several weeks for a plant start-up in a tiny village in Northern Japan. Only the postal office cash dispensers worked.
If he does not have an account, he can easily open one with the postal office. From today Jan 4, all offices are open again.
In the worst case you can also transfer the money to my account here in Tokyo, will personally bring it to Okinawa (only 1.500 km to the south) and will connect it with a diving holiday. (Just kidding)

Trust Shogun ;)

PS: o.k., back to the subject:
Just talked to our accountant: Even if you pay for the transfer, the recipient has to pay also handling charge, which is deducted by the bank. Quite expensive in Japan. Depending on the amount is is easily 15-20 $ in case of let's say $ 3.000,-.
Postal office is again cheaper here.

PPS: And father's in law in Japan do not have an internet connection. Mine is still using the drums for communation :D

RobPatt
01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Looks like for my situation using the USPS Global Express Mail with their International Money Order is the best option. Paypal would be great, but we're talking an old time fella w/a little gas stand & a few taxis....not 'net saavy. Thanks again!

I need to send money to a local in Okino-erabu Japan (a small island two islands north of Okinawa). There's no Western Union, I don't have their bank account info either.... any ideas? (and despite driving a black E34 like the terrorists in iraq, i'm not a terrorist sending money, it's to my father-in-law...) :-) Thanks. -Rob '93 525ia.

shogun
01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Okinawa is a wonderful area with all the small Islands. Last year I went to Tokashiki Island, only 600 inhabitants, many small beaches and wonderful clear water for diving.
here is the link to that island (http://www.vill.tokashiki.okinawa.jp/en/)

Sorry for the OT stuff.

RobPatt
01-03-2005, 09:35 PM
- Other than perhaps a currency exchange fee, is it quite cheap to redeem the money order at the post office?
- I think my father-in-law and yours were in the same percussion school of communications :-D arigatoo gozaimasu

Very convenient also here in Japan and even to that tiny Island near Okinawa it will be no problem. Any small village has a postal office. Prices are very reasonable, and they have cash dispensers all over the country and even accept foreign credit cards, which is not usual here for other banks, Foreign credit cards are often not accepted by the cash machines, as the japanese cash and credit cards have a different magnetic stripe on the back.
We had such probs when some engineers from Germany came over last year for several weeks for a plant start-up in a tiny village in Northern Japan. Only the postal office cash dispensers worked.
If he does not have an account, he can easily open one with the postal office. From today Jan 4, all offices are open again.
In the worst case you can also transfer the money to my account here in Tokyo, will personally bring it to Okinawa (only 1.500 km to the south) and will connect it with a diving holiday. (Just kidding)

Trust Shogun ;)

PS: o.k., back to the subject:
Just talked to our accountant: Even if you pay for the transfer, the recipient has to pay also handling charge, which is deducted by the bank. Quite expensive in Japan. Depending on the amount is is easily 15-20 $ in case of let's say $ 3.000,-.
Postal office is again cheaper here.

PPS: And father's in law in Japan do not have an internet connection. Mine is still using the drums for communation :D

RobPatt
01-03-2005, 09:42 PM
2nd island north of Okinawa.
Tokashiki is due west of Okinawa, about 60km if I recall. We used to sail there from Okinawa.... as well as Zamami, a stone's throw west of Tokashiki. We'd go there for the Orion Beer Fest, as well as sailing and yes, of course, great diving. I was kind of on the "Orion Beer Fest" circuit in the early 90s and made the rounds to most of those islands... Kume, Miyako, etc. (Was stationed there in the Air Force (Kadena)), sailed, dove, met my wonderful wife - she's from Okino-erabu, but went to school in Nishihara Okinawa at Ryudai (Univ of the Ryukyus). Been back to the mainland and Oki about every 3-4 years since.....

Okinawa is a wonderful area with all the small Islands. Last year I went to Tokashiki Island, only 600 inhabitants, many small beaches and wonderful clear water for diving.
here is the link to that island (http://www.vill.tokashiki.okinawa.jp/en/)

Sorry for the OT stuff.

shogun
01-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I even used my German postal savings book here in Japan about 20 years back to withdraw money. Worked w/o prob.

Yes, I am using the 750iL here in Tokyo. Not the best place for a V12, would be better on a Autobahn in Europe.
On New Year's Eve it was snowing a bit here and all City Highways were closed. Took me 4 hours to drive around Tokyo bay on normal roads just for 70 kms.

Here some pics of my car in front of Tokyo Bay and the Rainbow Bridge (http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/Tokio640/tokiogall.htm)

We are doing a volunteer project in the Phil's. Built a school, pay lunch for abt. 60 children, 3 teachers employed, goat raising project etc.
Our homepage is only in Japanese, but maybe your wife might be interested to see it. If you click on the pencils on the main page, you can see some pics about that, also myself on the fleamarket making money for the project.

click here (http://www.volunteer95.com)