PDA

View Full Version : 24v 520i misfire/running 'flat' all of a sudden

dodgenut
01-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi

I recently bought a 520i Touring (UK car) built Jan 95, with the 24v engine. Driving along the motorway last night, after going round a long flowing bend, the engine began to falter a little. Not enough to stop us driving or cruising along at a decent rate, but whenever accelerating it now falters and feels like it is down on power when trying to pull away from rest etc.

Today I pulled the spark plugs out to see if any were wet (really just to see if a plug was down or a coil pack u/s, but all plugs looked ok and none was wet with unburnt fuel etc). No sign of water in oil, or vice versa, to suggest head gasket probs causing low compression somewhere. Had a look in the air flow meter thing, to see if blocked up but looked ok.

Anyone have any ideas? From cold this morning it drove ok-ish (if a little flat) for a mile or so, then started to falter and feel low on power again as with driving last night. I notice there is a ticking noise from somewhere at the top of the engine. Sounded electrical (like when a plug lead breaks down and lets the spark fly to a nearby earthing point) but can't see any signs of errant sparks. I suppose it could be the cam ticking all of a sudden, but doesnt make the noise when the engine is cold, only after running a short time.

TIA
Rick

Paul in NZ
01-03-2005, 07:06 PM
fuel filter,sorta makes sense that it happened after a curve.....??