PDA

View Full Version : Heat vent to back seat not working

Pepperbare
01-02-2005, 07:44 PM
My 90 525i has an heat/air outlet between the front seats aimed toward the rear. It never seems to blow anything except cold air. Adjusting the temp dial on the right has not effect. Is it likely disconnected, broken or just not active on the 525i?

granit_silber
01-02-2005, 07:59 PM
My 90 525i has an heat/air outlet between the front seats aimed toward the rear. It never seems to blow anything except cold air. Adjusting the temp dial on the right has not effect. Is it likely disconnected, broken or just not active on the 525i?

Rear vents don't blow hot air. I don't know who made that marvelous decision, but they made it.
-ashley

Russell
01-02-2005, 08:09 PM
The vents in the floor under the front seats are to provide warm air. The rear center fresh air vents work a lot like the front center dash vents in that they provide cool air to the upper body. However, in the rear they can provide fresh air at lower and mid body as well.

I think it is a good idea.

Rear vents don't blow hot air. I don't know who made that marvelous decision, but they made it.
-ashley

shogun
01-03-2005, 03:00 AM
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/center_vents/air_distribution.jpg

nuwde
01-03-2005, 10:56 AM
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/center_vents/air_distribution.jpg

Thanks for the helpful pic.

Pepperbare
01-04-2005, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the info. BMW makes great cars and I love them. However, a vent that blows only cold air in winter ranks right up there with their other bonehead design, the power window switch that collects spilled soft drinks and dirt.

JonE
01-04-2005, 08:14 PM
In the winter I usually just rotate that dial thingy next to the vent which shuts off the flow of the cold air into the back seat. It is nice in the summer as it provides air conditioned air to the riders in the back seat. Back seat riders get heat from the under the seat venting. You'll get used to it!

Paul in NZ
01-04-2005, 08:26 PM
the only bonehead thing about the window switches is the bonehead idea of carrying a drink there

Dan in NZ
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
It's a european thing... Three ashtrays and no cupholders. Cupholders were an American thing for the "supersize fries and coke" crowd... European manufacturers just followed the Americans when the market demanded cupholders.

I like the idea of having cold air at the vent, and warm air at the footwell vents. It lets backseat passengers control their temperature, by having heat at their feet, and opening or closing the vent to suit. I suppose the ultimate solution would be a vent similar to the front one above the radio, where it is climate controlled but the thumbwheel allows warmer or cooler air, although this would require another mixing flap and stepper motor.....

shogun
01-04-2005, 10:03 PM
I made a pics from a E32 750iL Highline, which is on sale here in Tokyo.
The rear has a separate aircon, cooler box, tables, footrest, audio control pane, electric single rear seats, seat heaters, electric sunshade for rear and manual one for the rear door windows etc.
And of course a second alternator and a second battery to power all these nice things.

http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/images/gallery/750-highline/750-11k-km-358-1_000291-3.jpg

Paul in NZ
01-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Although any e 34 owner sitting in the back would think..hey they have stolen the vents from my car!!!!.And the lack of storage is the only thing that annoys me about my car.On along trip I have a cycle type drink bottle lying down in the slot next to the handbrake,with the nipple to the back of the car!

winfred
01-04-2005, 10:25 PM
i like the switches in the console, i don't like em in the door

the only bonehead thing about the window switches is the bonehead idea of carrying a drink there

Dan in NZ
01-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Although any e 34 owner sitting in the back would think..hey they have stolen the vents from my car!!!!.And the lack of storage is the only thing that annoys me about my car.On along trip I have a cycle type drink bottle lying down in the slot next to the handbrake,with the nipple to the back of the car!

Just remember to close the nipple on the drink bottle if you have your cellphone sitting in the slot next to the handbrake... I made that mistake this time last year. If you think window switches are a problem, just wait till you've drowned a $600 cellphone!

Paul in NZ
01-05-2005, 03:20 AM
its just the right depth to drown a cell phone... :( altho mineonly got wet feet,cos of my window cloth sitting there to stop the rattle.ALL of my cycle bootles (about 5 )have a slow drip
I like the switchs there to,the fewer wires into the doors the better!