PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My '93 E34 won't start

jeffrev
01-02-2005, 11:53 AM
I am having trouble starting my 1993 525i. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my car was having a little difficulty starting. After going away for the holiday for a week, I came back to find that it won't start at all. :( The car was running fine up until this point. Now when I turn the key it cranks and cranks but it doesn't sound like I am getting any spark. If this sounds like something you are familiar with, could you throw me a bone? I don't want to have to haul this in and pay $100/hr to some guy if it's something I can take care of myself.

Javier
01-02-2005, 12:02 PM
?

Derek A.
01-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Those cars will easily torch a set of plugs, especially if you have recently started the car and shut it down right away. If you spent a lot of time cranking it the fuel in the cylinders could have washed away the oil from the rings - giving you very little compression. I would try throwing a set of plugs in it first. If you have cranked it a lot leave your plugs out for about an hour and squirt a half a tablespoon of oil into the cu=ylinder before putting the new plugs in.

herman maire
01-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I am having trouble starting my 1993 525i. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my car was having a little difficulty starting. After going away for the holiday for a week, I came back to find that it won't start at all. :( The car was running fine up until this point. Now when I turn the key it cranks and cranks but it doesn't sound like I am getting any spark. If this sounds like something you are familiar with, could you throw me a bone? I don't want to have to haul this in and pay $100/hr to some guy if it's something I can take care of myself.

It sounds like the same problem my dads 525 92 had a few times
not sure if youre problem is the same but both times the car had fuel and spark. And ran perfectly before parking it . but just no sing of the motor catching.
After trying to start it I disconected the fuel pump fuse in the engine bay fuse box so it wouldnt keep getting flooded and cranked the engine until it suprisingly started to sputer and almost start on the old fuel already in the engine. I then put the fuel pump fuse back in and started cranking again and it almost started . I repeated this process twice and it ended up starting. Pretty unwillingly but it started.
I think there are some sensors or electronics that just get screwed up tempoarly then go back to normal. maybe its moister who knows, on my dads car it happened in the winter both times or was it three times.
I hope this helps.
You will probably need somebody boosting you or a fresh battery.