PDA

View Full Version : i changed my green german castrol (aka SLX) 0w30 out today....

ryan roopnarine
01-01-2005, 10:49 PM
at 11k miles. the oil was dark in the drain bucket, but remarkably yellow when absorbed with a paper towel or newspaper. another thing......when i got some on my skin, i smelt it, and i'm almost certain i smelled cinnamon in it. it also made my plugs look like they had burned antifreeze, until i inspected them. they had little green specks like certs with retsin (sp?). the green color was also paler than antifreeze, so i know that it was likely just bits of phosphorous instead of a headgasket failure telltale. good stuff, though. you'd have a hell of a time "consuming" it, as even my mother's taurus (which uses about 1.1 qts of m1 5w30 between 6500 mile oil changes) had a dramatically reduced consumption with the stuff.

cary
01-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Did you pull a sample for a UOA? I would expect it did fine as both the German Castrol and M1 0w-40 have held up well under longer change intervals.

ryan roopnarine
01-03-2005, 03:28 PM
by that point, i had mixed about 1 quart of conventional and 1 quart of slx in there because of a leaking valve cover gasket, so i don't think that a uoa would really be worth doing. i have the 6500 mi sample from when it started to leak, however, i haven't sent it in yet.