PDA

View Full Version : Bad start of 2005

Burell
01-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Happy new year all! Hope 2005 will bring happiness & health to you & your family … including your E34(‘s) ;-)

Anyway 2005 hasn’t started ok with regards to my 520i …While driving on the highway I noticed temp gauge in the red and a big white cloud of trailing smoke. Wasn’t able to stop right away so had to drive in that condition for about 5 minutes. The heater was gurgling and I noticed an oily smell. Engine sounds a bit sick as well. My guess is the head gasket? Car is now waiting for transport to the dealer, reading the Bentley the job of changing the gasket, let alone assess the condition of the head, is a bit too involved for me.

I have some questions, I would very much appreciate your input!

-A week ago I changed my ICV and thermostat, topped her up with pure coolant (as per advice from a reputable car shop) instead of a 50/50 mixture; could that have to do with the gasket failing?

-I was having a noisy lifter for a while; besides having that replaced is it smart to replace them all? Or maybe go for a reconditioned head straight away (car has 120K miles on the clock)

-What other jobs should I look into while the engine is being taken apart?

-Is there a chance of the block being damaged as well?
-Is there a chance of the heater system being damaged as well?

Thanks!

Burell / 1991 520i, M50, 120K, auto

bahnstormer
01-01-2005, 12:46 PM
a 520? is it worth your time?
what do 525i's go for around your parts?

winfred
01-01-2005, 02:04 PM
get the head off to check out the block before you buy any parts, sometimes when severly overheated it will dammage the pistons at which point it's easyer/cheeper to replace the whole engine

winfred
01-01-2005, 02:06 PM
525 motor should drop right in for some easy extra power

replace the whole engine

632 Regal
01-01-2005, 02:37 PM
that motors trashed, probably wasnt bled right and busted the head from overheating.

Burell
01-01-2005, 02:52 PM
He Jeff,

I am pretty sure I bled the system quite right; I drove about 800kms without any problem, temp steady as hell. Wonder if the unmixed coolant could have done the damage?

Cheers,

Burell

Javier
01-01-2005, 03:12 PM
of 100% coolant, actually it degrades the cooling performance of the system.

Javier

winfred
01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
it corrodes the hell out of the aluiminum too in the long term, if it's only been a few months i doubt that killed the motor

of 100% coolant, actually it degrades the cooling performance of the system. Javier

PABLO
01-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Once, my mother overheated my 520i 1989 and i had to change the pistons and other parts. But the mechanic didnt change the head (bad idea) because it was cracked and i fought a entire year because system was holding too much pressure and every 50km i had to refil the bottle. I solved the problem a week ago changing the head.
(becarful because there are negligent mechanics, i had so many problems with them, i had to buy 6 head gaskets, two heads and other things)

Buying a 2.5 engine should be worth it also.

Pablo