PDA

View Full Version : Transprogram alert

madrid
12-30-2004, 09:35 PM
I have a 92 US version e34 525i, my tranny has already been rebuilt because of mechanical failure and had been working properly for the past 6 months. But the Transprogram fault is starting to come back more frequently now. Usually it appears in the morning when I first start it up, then all I have to do is restart the engine, the fault would go away and it will work properly the whole day. My mechanic is trying to zero in on the electricals because he thinks some electrical glitches might be causing the error.
Is the check control module responsible for deciphering these faults? I had an e30 once with a check control module that would tell me somethings wrong but really theres none, I fixed the problem by simply unplugging the module. It ran trouble free until I had to sell it reluctantly. Can I do the same for my 525?

Scott C
12-30-2004, 11:25 PM
I have a 92 US version e34 525i, my tranny has already been rebuilt because of mechanical failure and had been working properly for the past 6 months. But the Transprogram fault is starting to come back more frequently now. Usually it appears in the morning when I first start it up, then all I have to do is restart the engine, the fault would go away and it will work properly the whole day. My mechanic is trying to zero in on the electricals because he thinks some electrical glitches might be causing the error.
Is the check control module responsible for deciphering these faults? I had an e30 once with a check control module that would tell me somethings wrong but really theres none, I fixed the problem by simply unplugging the module. It ran trouble free until I had to sell it reluctantly. Can I do the same for my 525?

First question... Does this go into Limp mode? (only one fwd gear and reverse)
Second question... Is your battery up to snuff? Cold weather effects batteries which if weak, MAY cause this although there are lots of other reasons. (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp)
I currently have my signal disconnected due to ..... long story ;)

Scott

liquidtiger720
12-31-2004, 12:30 AM
I cant really help you, but good luck. I had to rebuild mine after i got that message.

Dick Schneiders
12-31-2004, 10:40 AM
some tranny sensor. Scott's question about the car going into limp mode is important, as my car never did when the Trans Program message appeared. It still operated normally. The warning, with the annoying "bong" would come and go with increasing frequency until I had the sensor replaced. I bought the car with this problem 6 years ago, and it was my first BMW, so I really didn't know anything about these cars. I took it to a dealership (this was when I didn't know any better) and they replaced some sensor in the transmission that solved the error. The sensor was several hundred dollars, and I don't know the exact name of the part.

First question... Does this go into Limp mode? (only one fwd gear and reverse)
Second question... Is your battery up to snuff? Cold weather effects batteries which if weak, MAY cause this although there are lots of other reasons. (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp)
I currently have my signal disconnected due to ..... long story ;)

Scott

Scott C
12-31-2004, 12:26 PM
some tranny sensor. Scott's question about the car going into limp mode is important, as my car never did when the Trans Program message appeared. It still operated normally. The warning, with the annoying "bong" would come and go with increasing frequency until I had the sensor replaced. I bought the car with this problem 6 years ago, and it was my first BMW, so I really didn't know anything about these cars. I took it to a dealership (this was when I didn't know any better) and they replaced some sensor in the transmission that solved the error. The sensor was several hundred dollars, and I don't know the exact name of the part.

Dick?
On your transmission fix, was it the speed sensor that was replaced?
Thanks,
Scott

Dick Schneiders
12-31-2004, 12:34 PM
I was reluctant to say that as I really can't remember. I will look for the repair order from then and see what it says.

Dick?
Thanks,
Scott

Dick Schneiders
12-31-2004, 12:48 PM
as I thought!

The problem was initially diagnosed at Baron BMW in Kansas City as I happened to be there and took the car over to get it checked out. This was only a couple of weeks after I bought the car, and they discovered a couple of minor recall things that hadn't been done on the car and took care of them.

They also diagnosed the Trans Program issue for me. Their comment was that the "Check Control Module is bad causing the display to come on". They said that the cost to replace would be in the $425 range, and gave me the part number of 61 35 1 388 614. What they did to diagnose was to swap the module out with one from another 525 they had and the problem went away. They didn't have the part in stock so I couldn't get it fixed then.

I live closer to Wichita than KC, so I had the repair done there at a later date, since the problem was only annoying and the transmission worked perfectly. I am unable to locate the repair order for the actual work (perhaps I still am as disorganized as I thought!), but the cost was in the $400 range, as I recall.

Dick?
Thanks,
Scott

Scott C
12-31-2004, 03:42 PM
as I thought!

The problem was initially diagnosed at Baron BMW in Kansas City as I happened to be there and took the car over to get it checked out. This was only a couple of weeks after I bought the car, and they discovered a couple of minor recall things that hadn't been done on the car and took care of them.

They also diagnosed the Trans Program issue for me. Their comment was that the "Check Control Module is bad causing the display to come on". They said that the cost to replace would be in the $425 range, and gave me the part number of 61 35 1 388 614. What they did to diagnose was to swap the module out with one from another 525 they had and the problem went away. They didn't have the part in stock so I couldn't get it fixed then.

I live closer to Wichita than KC, so I had the repair done there at a later date, since the problem was only annoying and the transmission worked perfectly. I am unable to locate the repair order for the actual work (perhaps I still am as disorganized as I thought!), but the cost was in the $400 range, as I recall.

Thanks Dick... Always looking at another possible source to my particular issue.

madrid
01-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Hi Scott, yes it does go into limp mode everytime the transprogram alert would appear. My battery is new, just replaced it after my mechanic suspected it might be the cause of the faults. But even after replacing it, the fault still appears and would disappear after 1 or 2 restarts. Do you think my check control module is faulty?

madrid
01-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi Dick, I'll try to borrow a control module from the other cars in my mechanic's garrage and see what happens.

Scott C
01-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi Scott, yes it does go into limp mode everytime the transprogram alert would appear. My battery is new, just replaced it after my mechanic suspected it might be the cause of the faults. But even after replacing it, the fault still appears and would disappear after 1 or 2 restarts. Do you think my check control module is faulty?

I don't believe that the CCM can CAUSE a failure, just report a false one (which means that your transmission would not go into LIMP mode). Therfore, If you go into limp mode, you probably have a different problem. The switch assembly at the base of the shifter is a somewhat common problem area due to wear, dust, soda.

Can you cause the problem to occur when shifting "manually"? Does the display on the instrument cluster some times not reflect the correct gear (D, 3, 2, 1, P, R, etc)? There are others here on this board that know this function much better than me so am hoping that they jump in ;)

The link that I originally posted has quite a few things to check...

Scott

madrid
01-01-2005, 11:40 AM
i'll keep that in mind. when i shift to manual mode, it works perfectly. I even took it to the track once and had a hell of a time working the shifter manually. worked like a charm. It seems my problem occurs only during start-up. It never occurs after it has started without the fault. I'm currently running a log on what occurs before the fault appears, like trying to find a pattern of sorts. whether i blip the throttle during start-up, or when I leave the a/c or radio on before I start, and how many times do I have to restart before the fault would go away.

Bill R.
01-01-2005, 12:08 PM
startup and it was usually only the first start in the morning when everything was cold. In my case i cleaned the contacts on the shifter and treated with stabilant22a , that didn't get rid of the problem, then i pulled the trans control module, took it apart and looked at the circuit board. It had the usual poor german solder joints that has visible cracking where the relay was fastened in the center of the board. Resoldered bad joints and any others that looked suspect and its been fine ever since.

i'll keep that in mind. when i shift to manual mode, it works perfectly. I even took it to the track once and had a hell of a time working the shifter manually. worked like a charm. It seems my problem occurs only during start-up. It never occurs after it has started without the fault. I'm currently running a log on what occurs before the fault appears, like trying to find a pattern of sorts. whether i blip the throttle during start-up, or when I leave the a/c or radio on before I start, and how many times do I have to restart before the fault would go away.

madrid
01-03-2005, 08:16 AM
I'll go check on that angle, thanks!

RobPatt
01-03-2005, 12:09 PM
..by hooking up his diag computer to the diag port under the hood... message was "fluid pressure regulator".... that message and a check with the TIS (or whaever listing shows tech bulletins) confirmed also that there was an updated eprom for the tranny. $90 for the pressure regulator and $99 for the eprom (or was it $20) and labor costs later and all's been well for the last 12-14 months....

...check your error codes and yes, you're battery will need to be well up to snuff... good luck. seems any of many, or a combo of things can cause this error.... i had limp mode too.

good luck you can beat it. -Rob.