PDA

View Full Version : Clicking during AC

ilya
12-30-2004, 09:32 PM
not sure what this is..

whenever i turn the AC on (especially on the lowest setting with the stereo turned off so i can actually listen to the car's sounds), there's some clicking coming from the AC. it's kinda like clicking/trembling. if i turn the AC off, it's gone.

i have a feeling that something is interfering with the fan.. my brother has got so much dust on and under the car that i wouldn't be surprised that that's all it is. it hasn't been washed in about 4 months (yes i am pissed at him!)

have any of you experienced this before? any idea what the sound could be?

the ac works just fine, by the way. blows hot and cold air. the defroster works. everything seems to work

tim
12-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Ilya,

Sounds like something has gotten in there. Perhaps you could train a hamster or something to go and get it out. Kinda like "day of the dolphin."

Fa loves Pa.

Well, maybe not.

Perhaps some of that computer canned air duster stuff with a long flexible nozzle (or straw or whatever they call that thingee). Maybe you could at least move whatever it is to a place that doesn't make noise.

Otherwise just give me the car, and I'll fix it and get it back to you someday.

BTW, thanks for all the work on the board.

tim

Bill R.
12-31-2004, 12:21 AM
A/C is low on refrigerant and you're hearing it short cycling-on-off-on-off , IF thats the case then the engine rpm should be going up and down slightly too..
If the clicking noise is inside the dash then I would guess that one of the flapper motors has broken loosen and you're hearing it trying to move into position.

not sure what this is..

whenever i turn the AC on (especially on the lowest setting with the stereo turned off so i can actually listen to the car's sounds), there's some clicking coming from the AC. it's kinda like clicking/trembling. if i turn the AC off, it's gone.

i have a feeling that something is interfering with the fan.. my brother has got so much dust on and under the car that i wouldn't be surprised that that's all it is. it hasn't been washed in about 4 months (yes i am pissed at him!)

have any of you experienced this before? any idea what the sound could be?

the ac works just fine, by the way. blows hot and cold air. the defroster works. everything seems to work

ilya
12-31-2004, 01:56 AM
i'm not sure if it's from under the hood or the dash. it seems to be in the middle of the two

i dont htink it's low on refrigerant either, because i just recently added some (about 5 months ago). i also added some sealant just in case there were some holes in the tubes.
plus, if it was getting low then usually the AC wouldn't work well (not get cold for example).
and the RPM meter isn't erratic so i dont think that's the problem.

IF it's the flapper motor, where is that located?

TimGinCentralNJ
12-31-2004, 08:32 AM
...when I was trying to diagnose my failing A/C this summer, I inadvertently put too much R-134a into my retrofitted system (I had been reading the pressures/capacity for the stock R-12 system, so essentially I'd put too much in). Basically, my compressor started to cavitate, making a similar sounds to what you've mentioned. So, I quickly switched the A/C control off, and reduced the amount of freon in the system. At least in my situation, with the hood open, you could definitely tell it was coming from the compressor.

Hope that helps,
Tim G.
ex-'91 535iM - 123k

i'm not sure if it's from under the hood or the dash. it seems to be in the middle of the two

i dont htink it's low on refrigerant either, because i just recently added some (about 5 months ago). i also added some sealant just in case there were some holes in the tubes.
plus, if it was getting low then usually the AC wouldn't work well (not get cold for example).
and the RPM meter isn't erratic so i dont think that's the problem.

IF it's the flapper motor, where is that located?

philbyil
12-31-2004, 11:28 AM
It could be your A/C belt tensioner as it can give a little "jingle/rattle" when its kaput.....it looks like a little shock absorber.