PDA

View Full Version : Noisy on morning start

The Melmaan
12-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Bimmer Folks.....
A very Happy New Year to all of you.
I have noticed that on initial start in the morning that the engine is noisy for a couple of seconds then goes to normal smooth engine tune. It sounds like noisy tappets ralated only to the internal engine. I'm thinking that all the oil are still at the crank case that it takes a second or two for it to circulate. Is this noise normal to E34 / M50 engines? I'm thinking about pouring a bottle of Lucas Additive together with the oil. Is there anyone there who has tried this oil oil additive. They are available on local automotive stores. Need to know if it will do harm than good.

MicahO
12-31-2004, 08:27 AM
Bimmer Folks.....
A very Happy New Year to all of you.
I have noticed that on initial start in the morning that the engine is noisy for a couple of seconds then goes to normal smooth engine tune. It sounds like noisy tappets ralated only to the internal engine. I'm thinking that all the oil are still at the crank case that it takes a second or two for it to circulate. Is this noise normal to E34 / M50 engines? I'm thinking about pouring a bottle of Lucas Additive together with the oil. Is there anyone there who has tried this oil oil additive. They are available on local automotive stores. Need to know if it will do harm than good.

If it's only a second or two, don't worry about it. The M50 often takes a few seconds for the lifters to pump up. My 525iT was a fairly short pump-up time, every cold start sounded like "chuckka-chuckka-chuckka-chuck," then went quiet. If you get noise for 5-10 seconds, you may want to think about different oil, though I would stay away from any additives of any sort. Use a decent synthetic like Castrol Syntec or Mobil1 and let it sound like a sewing machine for a couple of seconds.

The Melmaan
01-01-2005, 02:25 PM
If it's only a second or two, don't worry about it. The M50 often takes a few seconds for the lifters to pump up. My 525iT was a fairly short pump-up time, every cold start sounded like "chuckka-chuckka-chuckka-chuck," then went quiet. If you get noise for 5-10 seconds, you may want to think about different oil, though I would stay away from any additives of any sort. Use a decent synthetic like Castrol Syntec or Mobil1 and let it sound like a sewing machine for a couple of seconds.
Micah,
I was told by a mechanic who specializes in Bimmers that not to use synthetic oil due to its ability to eat up the seals on older cars. This is true (I think)with my cousin who have a 94 525i. He started using synthetic oil several months back and now his car has numerous oil leaks. We can figure out at first if he over filled the tank or what, until we came across this mechanic who has a 535i and he learned the hard way. Now, whether this is a coincidence or not, we don't know.
On my car, just worried about wearing down the lifters faster than normal.
Thank,
The Melmaan

Russell
01-01-2005, 05:03 PM
It is my understanding that Mobil 1 synthetic oils have "seal conditioners" with the sole purpose of preventing leaks. I have been using mobile 1 0w40 for over 16,000 miles now and have seen no leaks.

Micah,
I was told by a mechanic who specializes in Bimmers that not to use synthetic oil due to its ability to eat up the seals on older cars. This is true (I think)with my cousin who have a 94 525i. He started using synthetic oil several months back and now his car has numerous oil leaks. We can figure out at first if he over filled the tank or what, until we came across this mechanic who has a 535i and he learned the hard way. Now, whether this is a coincidence or not, we don't know.
On my car, just worried about wearing down the lifters faster than normal.
Thank,
The Melmaan

madrid
01-04-2005, 10:33 AM
I used Mobil 1 10W40 before for my 520i, I had to change the valve cover gasket and other seals prematurely because of leaks. After that I switched to Castrol 20W50 and the problem disappeared. Had the same problem with my old e30.

Derek A.
01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
If your car is leaking oil its because of a bad seal - not bad oil. Have seen valve cover gaskets fail on 3 year old m62s with under 60,000 miles.

632 Regal
01-04-2005, 07:11 PM
your anti drain back valve in the filter housing may be bad and emptying the canister after sitting resulting in chatter until it refills and builds pressure.

Russell
01-04-2005, 07:20 PM
How expensive to fix? Thanks.

your anti drain back valve in the filter housing may be bad and emptying the canister after sitting resulting in chatter until it refills and builds pressure.

632 Regal
01-04-2005, 07:41 PM
which is a couple bux at the stealer (300?) open the canister in the morning and see if it is still full.

How expensive to fix? Thanks.