PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on tire size

granit_silber
12-30-2004, 11:49 AM
As it is now officially winter here in NC, and my current tires have a sweet case of dry rot (from PO) AND they barely have 2/32 left of tread its time to replace them.

I have settled on the BFGoodrich Traction T/A for the tire but was wondering about the qualities of the different sizes.

I'm staying with 15" wheels :( and according to the owner's manual, three sizes are approved for use. I am currently running the stock 205/65 -15 but noticed that BMW also says 225/60 HR15 are alright. Having found a set of Traction T/A's in that unusual size, I wondered what the pros/cons of that size might be.

Obviously, wider tire = wider contact patch
But what about ride comfort, noise, efficacy in snow, etc...

Any thoughts?
-ashley

Mr Project
12-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Wider tires are almost always a little worse in snow. You want a narrow contact patch to sink down the pavement....or ice, as is usually the case here. :)

The wider tires do seem to offer a little more cornering grip in the dry, though, so you have to decide which is more important to you if you are only going to have 1 set year-round.

Ride comfort, noise, etc, I don't think the differences are significant enough to really worry about.

Russell
12-30-2004, 12:13 PM
I did it about 16,000 miles ago. No problems at all. Excellent rain/snow traction and seems to handle well in dry weather. No change in noise. I may have seen a slight change in gas mileage?? Why is this size unusual?

Of course I like the Turanza tire. Not even 1/3 worn yet..

As it is now officially winter here in NC, and my current tires have a sweet case of dry rot (from PO) AND they barely have 2/32 left of tread its time to replace them.

I have settled on the BFGoodrich Traction T/A for the tire but was wondering about the qualities of the different sizes.

I'm staying with 15" wheels :( and according to the owner's manual, three sizes are approved for use. I am currently running the stock 205/65 -15 but noticed that BMW also says 225/60 HR15 are alright. Having found a set of Traction T/A's in that unusual size, I wondered what the pros/cons of that size might be.

Obviously, wider tire = wider contact patch
But what about ride comfort, noise, efficacy in snow, etc...

Any thoughts?
-ashley