PDA

View Full Version : can anyone elaborate on the operation of the gen. module and relay module.....

ryan roopnarine
12-28-2004, 10:33 PM
i did a sort of haphazard repair on them just now, resoldering the large relay traces and connector traces/ it seems that only the wipers have changed in status (no more door open-wiper off business). im hoping that its a single relay somewhere that's f'dup. i haven't checked it after a battery reset (plugged in the general and relay modules with the battery hooked up) so maybe things are better than i can see right now. im wondering what would cause simultaneous failure of the domelight, windows, wipers, and door locks (or some places to start from). NO, i sincerely doubt its a fuse link, as the radio, wipers, obc, et cetera still work. Thanks.

Javier
12-28-2004, 10:37 PM
?

ryan roopnarine
12-28-2004, 11:05 PM
1992 525i, 07/1991 production

shogun
12-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Alarm (factory fit)
Central locking
Washer pump
Windscreen wipers
Radio
Interior lights
Radio
Rear de-mister

A bit difficicult to find, check close to the battery under the sound isolation material (pic is from a E32)
http://www.thee32register.co.uk/attach/107172/DSC02376.JPG

Bill R.
12-29-2004, 12:13 AM
place.

i did a sort of haphazard repair on them just now, resoldering the large relay traces and connector traces/ it seems that only the wipers have changed in status (no more door open-wiper off business). im hoping that its a single relay somewhere that's f'dup. i haven't checked it after a battery reset (plugged in the general and relay modules with the battery hooked up) so maybe things are better than i can see right now. im wondering what would cause simultaneous failure of the domelight, windows, wipers, and door locks (or some places to start from). NO, i sincerely doubt its a fuse link, as the radio, wipers, obc, et cetera still work. Thanks.

Javier
12-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Ryan,
Relay Module has a lot to do with these and only these systems (Central looking, Power Windows/Sunroof, Wiper/Washer control, and interior light control). Relays are controlled by means of connecting them to ground trough the General Module electronics. I would check the ground connection of General Module (Pin 2 of connector X332), also the internal bus in the General Module feeding this ground connection from Pin 2 to the various transistors driving the relays at the Relay Module. Fuse F30 is very important for the proper working of the Relay Module (Except wiper relays) and also feeds the General Module, guess you have drawing 1992e346100_0-00 drawing, if not, I can e-mail you a copy (210K pdf file).
Javier

Paul in NZ
12-29-2004, 04:42 AM
is all this info you post from the etk tis kis etc?????

ryan roopnarine
12-29-2004, 05:08 AM
Ryan,
Relay Module has a lot to do with these and only these systems (Central looking, Power Windows/Sunroof, Wiper/Washer control, and interior light control). Relays are controlled by means of connecting them to ground trough the General Module electronics. I would check the ground connection of General Module (Pin 2 of connector X332), also the internal bus in the General Module feeding this ground connection from Pin 2 to the various transistors driving the relays at the Relay Module. Fuse F30 is very important for the proper working of the Relay Module (Except wiper relays) and also feeds the General Module, guess you have drawing 1992e346100_0-00 drawing, if not, I can e-mail you a copy (210K pdf file).
Javier

now im really confused, i don't remember seeing any transistors on the relay board, and only two queer looking ones on the general board (thought it was strange there would be such a stark difference between the two). if you could email me that pdf, i'd be appreciative.

ryan roopnarine
12-29-2004, 05:11 AM
Alarm (factory fit)
Central locking
Washer pump
Windscreen wipers
Radio
Interior lights
Radio
Rear de-mister

A bit difficicult to find, check close to the battery under the sound isolation material (pic is from a E32)
http://www.thee32register.co.uk/attach/107172/DSC02376.JPG

like i said, ive had a fusible link failure before, i sincerely doubt this is the same. my washer pump still works, my windscreen wipers still work when they want to, my radio works, my interior light works when manually switched on, and my rear defogger does as well.

ryan roopnarine
12-29-2004, 07:04 AM
the night when the first failure happened, i saw that one of the fuses underseat (a 30ampere one) had blown. as i was trying to give myself some satisfaction as to having "fixed" something, i pulled it out and tossed it across the parking lot. this morning, i tried plugging the battery back in to see if the module had reset. i also plugged a fuse back in there to see what would happen (couldn't find my packet of spares when i "replenished" the blown one). well, the GM failure was still there, but the fuse had blown by the time i went back to the backseat to check things out again. i wonder what the main current draw is on the GM.......im thinking that maybe this has nothing to do with a failure in the GM and more to do with a defective subsystem hooked up to it. wonder if hooking a 40a homebrew fuse for diagnostic purposes will hurt it too much

Javier
12-29-2004, 12:53 PM
that is the reason to suggest you to check the ground at pin 2 of the general module. This ground is distributed to all the transistor switches in the general module so to connect to ground the relays in relay module when requested. If the ground is poor, transistors will not turn on the relays, making them inoperable.

I'm sending the pdf drawing now.

Javier

Bill R.
12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
the night when the first failure happened, i saw that one of the fuses underseat (a 30ampere one) had blown. as i was trying to give myself some satisfaction as to having "fixed" something, i pulled it out and tossed it across the parking lot. this morning, i tried plugging the battery back in to see if the module had reset. i also plugged a fuse back in there to see what would happen (couldn't find my packet of spares when i "replenished" the blown one). well, the GM failure was still there, but the fuse had blown by the time i went back to the backseat to check things out again. i wonder what the main current draw is on the GM.......im thinking that maybe this has nothing to do with a failure in the GM and more to do with a defective subsystem hooked up to it. wonder if hooking a 40a homebrew fuse for diagnostic purposes will hurt it too much

Bill R.
12-29-2004, 01:19 PM
2 , it grounds at x492 as seen here

that is the reason to suggest you to check the ground at pin 2 of the general module. This ground is distributed to all the transistor switches in the general module so to connect to ground the relays in relay module when requested. If the ground is poor, transistors will not turn on the relays, making them inoperable.

I'm sending the pdf drawing now.

Javier

http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/generalmoduleground.jpg

ryan roopnarine
12-29-2004, 02:37 PM

that's one of my problems, bill. nothing i have (bentley, otherwise) seems to say which fuses are what number. bentley has a list of circuits and amperage requirements, but im not seeing numbers for the underseat fuses. i also looked at the fuse holders, none of them seem to have numbers on them. it is the 2nd fuse from the left in the 30 ampere cluster.

Javier
12-29-2004, 09:55 PM
?

Bill R.
12-29-2004, 11:58 PM
and here is the link to the fuses...

http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/rear%20fuses.jpg Here is the link to the fuses (http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/fuses.pdf)

ryan roopnarine
12-30-2004, 02:28 PM
its either 32 or 31, ill have to sacrifice a fuse to the e34 gods to refresh my recollection.

Javier
12-30-2004, 04:50 PM
You are not supposed to have an F 32 fuse, and F 31 fuse is a 7.5 A fuse related to the Lock system motors. It feeds signals to General Module at pin 24 (Central Locking request passenger's side, as driver's side is fed by F 30), at pin 11 (Passenger's door locked), at pin 17 (Passenger's door unlocked, and Trunk unlocked, as Driver's door unlocked is fed by F 30), and at pin 23 (Trunk unlocked); it also feeds the Car phone transceiver, but guess you don't have one. If fuse 31 is blowing, you may have a short circuit in the General Module, at sensing inputs at pins 11 or 23.

The only 30 A fuses related to the General Module is the Fuse F 47 that feeds power to power windows, central locking motors, and the power protection relay coil, and Fuse F 44 that feeds power through the wiper relay to the wiper related relays in the Relay module. None of those should produce a massive shut down of General Module functions.

Please let us know precisely which fuse is blowing, so to be able to analyze your situation.

Javier

rockyfeller
12-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Finally! Someone responds inadvertently to what I was talking about....My alarm got screwed and the stealer replaced my general module to help recify this. He found that the DWA (? anyone know what/where this is?) was actually th culprit now...so I basically got screwed and $900 to disconnect the DWA and lose my alarm/keyless and my OBC. I could care less about my alarm system, but I can't live w/o my OBC! How could I find/change this part myself?

Javier
12-30-2004, 08:26 PM
it is located under the LH side of the rear seat. See picture (Look for N1).

rockyfeller
12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks so much Javier....it looks easy enough to unplug and replace (I think/hope??)

taff1966
01-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Javier. is there a sequence for replacing the GM module? ie disconnect battery fit module etc etc?

Bill R.
01-27-2005, 02:07 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/generalmoduleinstall.jpg

imnprsd
08-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Would you mind helping me solve this problem.... My interior lights don't work on my '92 535 wagon and there is no obvious reason for it. Everything else works as it should.

Should I check the relay under the seat? ... Or maybe you can tell me the problem is in the (driver's/tail gate) door locking system somewhere?

Note: My visor lights and my glove box light do work. The map and other interior lights do not at any time.

Javier
08-30-2005, 10:33 AM
do not work manual nor automatic (open door) I would check F21. If rear map reading lights do not work (Only manual) then F18.

F21 also handles charging socket and trunk lid light, F18 also handles rear window wiper-washer relays, radio, Alpine anti-theft, phone and glove box light.

Other than fuses, the problem may be wiring, bulbs, sockets or switches. Fuses first, careful inspection, not only quick view of filament.

Javier