PDA

View Full Version : Can i turn off the error message?

ilya
12-28-2004, 06:11 PM
my e34 keeps displaying F/ FOG LIGHTS. the thing is, i dont have any fog lights. the car didn't come with them. im guessing the previous owner might have taken them out. i'm planning to buy some in the future but for now i'd like to turn that message off. is there a fuse i can disconnect or do something that would make it go away?

thanks

henryw525i
12-28-2004, 06:50 PM
do you have the full fog light switch?....I would just have it in the off position and it would go away? That gets controlled by the LKM so mabye there is an issue with that

Dan in NZ
12-28-2004, 07:12 PM
The LKM will check the bulbs even if the lights are off. I think the only way to get rid of the message would be to install the foglights, or somehow jumper the open plugs with a resistance equal to the bulb, so that the LKM measures continuity and assumes the bulbs are there.

ilya
12-28-2004, 07:52 PM
thats what i was afraid of too..
i guess ill just have to install the fog lights

Javier
12-28-2004, 07:57 PM
The check control works with binary signals (ground/12V) so identify the pin in the check control (comming from the LKM) and switch it to the proper input. Will look around in the drawings for your car and will bring you back some more info if I get it.

Javier

winfred
12-28-2004, 09:10 PM
i've only had to do this once but it worked, jump the plugs for the lights and unplug the fog light switch so that it doesn't get turned on by mistake, that killed the message without harming anything and is easy to reverse

Javier
12-28-2004, 09:19 PM
The Lamp control module (LKM) actually communicates (exchange data) with the check control, it means there is not a single wire informing the Fog lamps, but all the lamps status, guess your alternatives are either modify the LKM itself, or simulate the fog lamps as proposed by Dan. I have attached a close up on BMW drawing for the LKM. I would say that removing F7 and grounding pin 16 and 32 on the LKM (Same as short-circuiting the fog lamp bulbs) should fool the system alarm.

Javier
12-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Same concept, It's easier thoug, to remove the F7 instead of removing the fog lamp switch.

Only if you are the only one fooling with your car and noone else will refuse it for you.

Javier

winfred
12-28-2004, 10:07 PM
i just unplugged the switch and stuck it back in the hole to avoid any possible **** up, this guy could screw up a wet dream, i put 2 short blocks 2 trannys and 3 heads in that car, when he it took it to a gin soaked bum down town (we met him) to have a water pump installed and he roasted the motor trying to bleed it, we refused to fix the car again and sold him a 90 740 volvo and he's yet to kill it once in 2-3 years

Same concept, It's easier thoug, to remove the F7 instead of removing the fog lamp switch.

Only if you are the only one fooling with your car and noone else will refuse it for you.

Javier

ilya
12-29-2004, 01:21 AM
that diagram makes absolutely zero sense to me. i never did like Electricity in physics in highschool. maybe that's why i also hate engineering and would never want to be one...

how and where do i "remove the f7"?

sorry to sound so stupid on this subject guys

Paul in NZ
12-29-2004, 04:37 AM
I think F7 is the foglight fuse in the front fuse box.....

shogun
12-29-2004, 07:07 AM
The diagram says: Front power distribution box, Fuse number 7, 15A

Javier
12-29-2004, 12:43 PM
fuse box (left hand fender/firewall corner), identify fuse number 7 and pull it out (I would suggest to fill its place with some plastic piece or leave there a warning note, just to avoid anyone to just put it back). Then look for the Fog lamp sockets and make an electrical connection with a copper wire between both electrical plugs/pins. This should remove the alarm.

Will always be glad to help you on electrical/electronic issues.

Javier

winfred
12-29-2004, 08:38 PM
that's why i just unplug the fog light switch after jumping the connectors, it's dummy proof

I would suggest to fill its place with some plastic piece or leave there a warning note, just to avoid anyone to just put it back).

ilya
12-29-2004, 08:43 PM
ok so i think im starting to understand this..

1) unplug the fuse (#7) - easy enough

2)

Then look for the Fog lamp sockets and make an electrical connection with a copper wire between both electrical plugs/pins. This should remove the alarm.so just take a piece of copper wire and connect the electircal pins on both the left and the right fog light (or where the foglight would connect anyways)?

Javier
12-29-2004, 09:40 PM
two copper wires may be 1 inch length, one for each side fog ligth socket/plug/connector.

Javier

bahnstormer
12-29-2004, 10:14 PM
install some fogs...
they're useful, look good, and well they SHOULD be there =]