PDA

View Full Version : OT whats with this Ebay scam crap?

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 07:21 PM
******** (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43956&item=7943327622&rd=1)

If you place any kind of bid your automaticlly out bid...I wouldnt want to spend much on them but try it yourself, as soon as you raise it 1 buck your outbid...some kind of scam I guess, just never witnessed it first hand.

pismojeff
12-27-2004, 07:24 PM
It just means that someone has bid higher than you, right? Don't think it is a scam, that is just the way it works.

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 07:39 PM
im not that stupid, bid a buck and your out bid, and then look at who bid previously...just you! (and me earlier) You can see i bid 3 times with no counters but that special person stays above all bids man.

Brian C.
12-27-2004, 07:43 PM
....just below the "Buy it Now" price, and I wouldn't be surprized if that bidder is "friends" with the seller. You won't see his counter-bids, it just ups his initial bid. This is how to ensure that your minimum price is gonna be the "Buy it Now" price. Not really a scam, just sort of a crappy way to treat aution bidders. I've got the bidding up to $65 now.

Brian C.

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 07:49 PM
I could use a little help every now and then...LOL

ukm5
12-27-2004, 07:52 PM
its called proxy bidding, it just means that someone has indicated a maximum they will pay is higher than what you have just bid, so the system outbids you, you can do this too, its so you can leavse the auction knowing you wil outbid anyone automatically up to your maximum

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 07:57 PM
just didnt think that was how it worked, kinda cool actually. I thought it would list the other bidder not making it look like I was bidding against myself.

Brian C.
12-27-2004, 08:00 PM
....on something that starts at $10, then my initial bid is 10 bucks. It will say $10 for me. If you see that and think you'll pay up to $50, you bid your max of 50 bucks and it doesn't say "Regal @ $11", or even "Regal @ $50", it will say "Me @ $51" because you still haven't eclipsed my initial bid of $100. It will just up my first bid up to the maximum that I initially bid, or $100. Only when you pass my $100, to say $150, will it then have you be the highest bidder and then it will show "Regal @ $101" and up and up until someone bids more than your $150.

I try to drink a bit before I try to figure this **** out sometimes. Either that, or sniff a little nitro!! :p It does get confusing. They also have some other sort of bidding proxy that will ALWAYS outbid ANYONE if you tell them too, for stuff that you just can't live without.

Brian C.

Brian C.
12-27-2004, 08:02 PM
:p

Brian C.
12-27-2004, 08:26 PM
...."michaelsomebody".....anyone here??? And you can see that the other bidder had $101 as his maximum price he'd bid. Still too much time left to be bidding on stuff. You only drive the price up by bidding early. I never bid until an hour or so before an auction ends.

Brian C.

Paul in NZ
12-27-2004, 09:18 PM
you can also get auto bid programs that you can set your maximum bid into and tell it to bid with a few seconds to go...so you are sitting there with your item virtually in the hand untilthe last 5 seconds.By the time you have tried to up your bid by 5 ducks its to late.

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 09:25 PM
I read about this stuff years ago, just never really needed it and had to understand how it all worked...wierd new world LOL

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 09:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7943327622

still nonsence

Scott C
12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7943327622

still nonsence

I bought 5 wheels not too long ago - 1 was severly bent and 1 more was slightly bent! (I paid 50$ for all 5 + $100 for shipping so can't complain too much)

I see the guy has many of these wheels, so chances are good he can remedy if there is something that is not good. Shipping is a killer though. Mine were shipped with tires on which I think helped protect the rims.

Scott

Brian C.
12-27-2004, 10:00 PM
The auction says "Ends Dec-29-04 06:49:37 PST". So you might be better off if you just bookmark the page or add it to your "My E-Bay" watch and at about 06:45:00 PST Thursday, start to bid again. Otherwise you'll just continue to bid against the other bids coming in, and then they will bid against you.......and on and on and the price just goes up and up. You got nothing to lose. Just keep an eye on it. The "Buy it Now" is now gone because the reserve has been met. OR, if you'll pay, say $325, and not a penny more, put that in as your max bid and just wait and see what happens. Ain't this fun?? :p

Brian C.

Brian C.
12-27-2004, 10:06 PM
I have sniped at the last minute, and have gotten screwed too, so I don't complain about it. I guess it all comes down to your max bid being the highest at the last minute.

Brian C.

MBXB
12-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Jeff,

The real movement happens in the final few minutes. The real bidders come out using the proxy bidding with a maximum or if they really can't live without the item, bidding it up in the last minute or two.
I'd just wait till the last 30 min.

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 11:02 PM
The auction says "Ends Dec-29-04 06:49:37 PST". So you might be better off if you just bookmark the page or add it to your "My E-Bay" watch and at about 06:45:00 PST Thursday, start to bid again. Otherwise you'll just continue to bid against the other bids coming in, and then they will bid against you.......and on and on and the price just goes up and up. You got nothing to lose. Just keep an eye on it. The "Buy it Now" is now gone because the reserve has been met. OR, if you'll pay, say $325, and not a penny more, put that in as your max bid and just wait and see what happens. Ain't this fun?? :p

Brian C.

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 11:03 PM
now I understand and think I even played with too mich, but if I win I can handle it, if not then...whew...im glad

winfred
12-27-2004, 11:43 PM
semi pro sniper here, i am pissed if i miss count and get the bid in more then 10 or so seconds before closing, i've gotten stuff in 2 seconds by $.05 :)

DueyT
12-28-2004, 04:04 AM
...yup, sniper here too...if I don't make my bid in the last 10 seconds of an item, I don't think I've done a good job...usually works well, 5 secs or less will somtimes close out proxies as well...

Duey

drum2430
12-29-2004, 09:07 AM
What happens is that someone has put in a bid previous to yours. E-Bay will automatically bid up that persons bid to his chosen maximum. Lets say the existing bid is $100.00. The person who put that bid in may have bid against a previous bid of $99.00. He may have bid $105.00 but only needed $100.00 to beat the previous bid. Now you log on and bid $101.00. The person who bid $105.00 will have his bid automatically increased to beat your bid up to a maximum of $105.00. Definatelly a game but I wouldn't call it a scam. You just need to know that while you are looking at a high bid, the person who put that bid in may have agreed to a maximum bid above what you see and E-Bay has some margin to bid up to that point when another bid comes in.

Dick Schneiders
12-29-2004, 09:47 AM
cutoff with my bid and don't even get a chance at winning the item. Do you have to calibrate your computer's clock to eBay time every time before you do this? My computer's clock is usually 30 seconds or so off from eBay's, and it can be in either direction. If I don't remember to adjust my computer's clock to equate to what eBay thinks the correct time is, I can miss out when I try to bid in the last few seconds.

"Does anybody really know what time it is?"

"Does anybody really care?"

semi pro sniper here, i am pissed if i miss count and get the bid in more then 10 or so seconds before closing, i've gotten stuff in 2 seconds by $.05 :)

DueyT
12-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Dick, I find with the normal latency on my DSL line, I look at the "xx min:sec remaining" on one page in one window and have another window that I adjust my bid to, if required.

Duey

Dick Schneiders
12-29-2004, 03:00 PM
That way I can keep refreshing one window, to check on the time and any new bids, while using the other one to place my bid.

Thanks for the tip.

Dick, I find with the normal latency on my DSL line, I look at the "xx min:sec remaining" on one page in one window and have another window that I adjust my bid to, if required.

Duey