PDA

View Full Version : e34 stereo systems

Incantation
12-27-2004, 05:07 AM
hey..

lots of tech talk.. i don't ever hear anything about stereo upgrades. have you guys done anything special to your car stereos?

i suppose i'll start:
head unit - clarion DXZ845MC
fronts - focal PolyGlass 165V2 components
rears - JL audio components
sub - focal PolyGlass 33v2 13" woofer
amp1- 4 channel Kenwood Excelon KAC- X811D
amp2- monoblock Kenwood Excelon KAC - X541

currently debating building a box in place of the spare tire.. has anyone done this or have any input on whether this is a good idea?

cheers,

bimmerd00d
12-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Nakamichi CD-400
Clarion 400w 4ch
RF 900w mono
4 MTX Thunder3000 5.25" components
Kicker 10" CompVR in a matched box.
Ipod

Incantation
12-27-2004, 03:08 PM
nice.. how have you mounted the components in the back? i've got the driver running free-air and the tweet right new to it but i was contemplating mounting it in the c-pillar. yours?

Mobius
12-27-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm running a Clarion DXZ835MP powering an Alpine MRV-F353 5-channel amp, powering a pair of 10" Kicker Comp VRs in a bandpass box. The front speakers are driven through a pair of crossovers from a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfects that were in my roomate's car until he kicked one of the speakers and broke it. :) I was pleasently surprised that they actually worked pretty well...

I'm using all stock speakers. I had planned on replacing them when I dropped the head unit, amp and sub in - but honestly, I think they sound great.

Incantation
12-27-2004, 10:30 PM
so how have you set up the front? on mine there were 3 speakers.. door, dash, and kick panel.. i replaced the kickpanel with a new driver and the tweeter wouldn't fit in the door so it's in the dash.. and the door one is empty

bahnstormer
12-27-2004, 11:21 PM
stock with rebuilt oem radio in one
and a nak head in the other =]

Mobius
12-28-2004, 06:23 AM
so how have you set up the front? on mine there were 3 speakers.. door, dash, and kick panel.. i replaced the kickpanel with a new driver and the tweeter wouldn't fit in the door so it's in the dash.. and the door one is empty
The crossover feeds the dash and door off the high-pass leads, and the 'woofer' off the low-pass leads. Amazingly, the resistance at the input end of the crossover reads at almost exactly 4ohms.

There really isn't much point in trying to set up a 3-way cross with the three front speakers. The frequency range of the door tweeter and the dash tweeter really aren't that different. Besides, the Kappa Perfects the crossovers came off of had two tweeters as well.

winfred
12-28-2004, 09:34 AM
upgraded system drivers from e30 (much better) and 91 and up factory pioneer head unit/wireing. the factory stuff aint that bad if you mix and match a little