PDA

View Full Version : Inspection is due =/

Hypr5
12-27-2004, 01:56 AM
Today my inspection light came on and I want to do it myself, The only problem is I'm not sure which inspection is due. 1 or 2? How can I tell? I do know that inspection 1 was last done at 111k mi and I am now at 128.5k mi Is it too soon for an inspection 1 to be due again? I cant find record of inspection 2.

Thanks for your help guys!

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 10:56 AM
inspect it all if your doing it yourself, wont hurt a thing.

Incantation
12-27-2004, 03:04 PM
how do you inspect? :o

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 03:18 PM
http://www.autobodyshop.net/BMWScheduledService.htm

or any other site that has inspection 1 & 2

Incantation
12-27-2004, 10:32 PM
thanks!

one question.. how do i tell which one it needs? i have an "inspection" light when i turn the car on for about 2 seconds.. and there's a yellow and a red light that come up (with a series of green next to them that don't light up)

any idea?

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 10:59 PM
if you dont know then you need to do both, log the results and repair whats needed and sleep easy. Personally I dont do both inspections everytime, but I do make it a point to cover all of them at least once a year since my car is very well maintained. If it wasnt I would probably just sell the thing because it would seem overwhelming at all the things that need replacing at once.

Qsilver7
12-28-2004, 01:10 AM
thanks!

one question.. how do i tell which one it needs? i have an "inspection" light when i turn the car on for about 2 seconds.. and there's a yellow and a red light that come up (with a series of green next to them that don't light up)

any idea?
Regal posted a link that tells you that Inpsection I is done every 15k and Inspection II is done every 30k. Add to that info...that the service interval lights keep track of driving conditions and mileage and may even extend the illumination of the Inspection warning a bit...but basically look at your mileage...if you're at 30k/60K/90k/120k/150k/180k/210k...then you should be looking at an Insp II...if you're around 15k/45k/75k/105k/135k/165k/195k...then you're looking at an Insp I.

Here's another link that explains the Service Indicator lights and what mileage to do the Inspections I & II: http://www.bmwworld.com/repairs/maintenance.htm

Hope this clarifies it for you. And since you have the red light illuminated...you are overdue....GET YOUR INSPECTION DONE SOON!!!
:D :D :D

Incantation
12-28-2004, 01:57 AM
well this is assuming that previous inspections have been done at this interval.. however the last mechanics that did work on my car (new head gasket) changed EVERYTHING.. i mean hoses, belts, clamps, nuts, bolts, spark plugs (have these platinum ones for 100k miles) etc.. and that was only maybe 15k ago? if that.. so i am wondering whether the computer somehow isn't set properly? is there a way to turn the lights off?

ahh.. after having written this i just read your url.. that's a great link.. thanks a lot :)

Hypr5
12-28-2004, 11:45 AM
inspect it all if your doing it yourself, wont hurt a thing.
I would go ahead and just do the whole thing, but the one thing I don't want to do if I don't have to is the transmission fluid change. In the record book, I have this inspection checklist from a BMW dealer (all maintenance was done by the dealer) that says inspection 1 has the tranny fluid change. Every link I've seen online shows otherwsie.

Also - the tranny has been quite well maintained, would changing the fluid at this high mileage still be a risk? I know its a huge no-no on high mileage and poorly maintained trannys. What about the differential? The fluid LOOKS clean and clear, but I don't know how it's maintenance has been over the years.

Thanks a bunch. :)

632 Regal
12-28-2004, 12:04 PM
a big fat NO. But I talked with Kurt Kohller and he told me to just change the filter and the fluid that comes out with it (appx 3-4 Qts) every 30,000. I changed that in mine, the old fluid looked like new so I was pretty sure it wouldnt hurt anything.

The old annaleage was not to change old burnt dirty shitty lookin fluid because the fresh stuff would break apart the buildup of crud and cause all kinds of problems.

Make sure you use the PROPER fluid for your trans because if you mix and match you WILL have problems.

Rear differential fluid should be changed during your inspection, new fluid there wont do any harm at all.