PDA

View Full Version : CD Player for Christmas!

Am Piobaire
12-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi Guys,

Hope you all had a good Chrissy and that Santa brought what you wanted. My partner bought me a Kenwood CD player and receiver, so naturally I want to install it into my Beemer as the old one isnt' working quite as well as it should, plus it is a cassette player, not a cd.

Which leads me to my questions ... will the Kenwood Cd player be a straight swap for the existing stereo unit, the original setup is pretty basic - just 4 speakers (front doors and parcel shelf), and just the cassette/radio unit - no amps or anything fancy like that. Will the existing mounting brackets be similar, and more importantly, will the speakers work ok with this unit? Hopefully, it will just be a matter of removing the old unit and connecting the existing wiring to the new unit and installing it, but this is a BMW and the stuff mightn't be compatible.

I have a few days off before the new year so I figured I might install it then.

thanks in advance

Andrew

bimmerd00d
12-26-2004, 07:35 PM
assuming you have a stock system, you may have to rewire if you have an amplified system, but i dont believe the 1988 E34's had those. As far as the brackets go, you should be fine with what the Kenwood comes with, it's very straightforward. Pull your stock head unit and make a note of the connector it has, then purchase the adapter if you dont want to cut into the factory harness there. The speakers "should" work no problems, i believe they are standard 4 or 8ohm, which will work fine but wont sound very good. The stock wiring in these cars is very robust, so upgrading to new speakers will be what you are looking for if the sound is not very good after putting in the new cd player.