PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter related questions

Russell
12-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Does a 95 525i M50 TU engine have a built in oil filter bypass value or is it in the oil filter insert?

Which filter is the best? Mann of Mahle? Mahle sure looks better constructed with metal ends.

TIA

Bill R.
12-26-2004, 02:00 PM
insert. All the newer bmw models are using a paper only filter without the metal ends, this was done for ecological reasons. So the official bmw filter is now paper only and has been for some time. If you purchase a mann filter that says evotop on it it will be the paper filter as seen here
(http://www.mann-filter.com.sg/EN/products/oilfilters/elements.html)The same thing with Mahle, both will only be paper soon, i suspect the metal ones are old stock being sold off. As far as which filter is best i can't say, I haven't had problems with either on any cars i put them on.

Does a 95 525i M50 TU engine have a built in oil filter bypass value or is it in the oil filter insert?

Which filter is the best? Mann of Mahle? Mahle sure looks better constructed with metal ends.

TIA

632 Regal
12-26-2004, 03:36 PM
If you currently use the filter with metal ends you need an insert to be able to use the all paper filter. All BMWs serviced at the dealer were supposed to get the retrofit...mine wasnt replaced though and had to get one.

Russell
12-26-2004, 06:34 PM
I have been using the Mann Paper filter with rubber ends. The most recent Mahle filters I purchased from BMA have metal and rubber ends. This all made me wonder which. The last dealer filter I purchased had metal ends. This was over a year ago.

Thanks again

insert. All the newer bmw models are using a paper only filter without the metal ends, this was done for ecological reasons. So the official bmw filter is now paper only and has been for some time. If you purchase a mann filter that says evotop on it it will be the paper filter as seen here
(http://www.mann-filter.com.sg/EN/products/oilfilters/elements.html)The same thing with Mahle, both will only be paper soon, i suspect the metal ones are old stock being sold off. As far as which filter is best i can't say, I haven't had problems with either on any cars i put them on.

Russell
12-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Are you saying I will need some sort of adapter before I can use a paper filter. I never heard this before.

Perhaps I needed one when I used a paper Mann filter on my last 2 oil changes. This worries me a bit. If I needed such an adapter and did not use it what would happen? I use Mobil 1 0w40 and change it every 4,000 miles.

Please help me out here! I hope I amnot damaging something.

If you currently use the filter with metal ends you need an insert to be able to use the all paper filter. All BMWs serviced at the dealer were supposed to get the retrofit...mine wasnt replaced though and had to get one.

Bill R.
12-26-2004, 06:57 PM
talking about , thats seen on the v8's and v12's.

Are you saying I will need some sort of adapter before I can use a paper filter. I never heard this before.

Perhaps I needed one when I used a paper Mann filter on my last 2 oil changes. This worries me a bit. If I needed such an adapter and did not use it what would happen? I use Mobil 1 0w40 and change it every 4,000 miles.

Please help me out here! I hope I amnot damaging something.

Russell
12-26-2004, 07:13 PM
I thought maybe he was talking about the v8s. I feel better now! Now to find something else to "worry" about.

Thanks again.

talking about , thats seen on the v8's and v12's.

632 Regal
12-26-2004, 07:20 PM
thats seen on the v8's and v12's.