PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7336 orbital polisher

tim
12-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Got one for christmas! I need goodies like a backing plate and some pads. Whose got a good deal on that stuff? Any advice about usage? I was thinking about 3M Finesse it for a compound, Klasse All In One as a cleaner/polish, and then top it with ps100 or something carnuba. BTW, my car is black so, are there any special considerations?

mikemaster
12-25-2004, 09:57 PM
There's a nice detailing faq on the roadflee detailing board. You'll love the polisher though. A few tips: It's a good idea to clay bar the car first, so you get all the grit out of the paint. Everyone seems to love einzett products. I've been using the mezerna stuff but am going to switch in the spring. When you put the polish on the car or on the pad, spread it a little before you turn on the polisher if you don't want a shower. Practice makes perfect. Have Fun!!

Ps. I've bought stuff from CMA and detailer's paradise and was happy with both purchases, I'm sure there's a ton of websites out there though.

Ted K
12-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Here is what I have been using. Won't use anything else. Griot's Garage car care are the best.

http://www.carnaubawax.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11119A

George M
12-26-2004, 07:57 PM
not a fan of Griot's...they are a bit pricely...prefer Detailer's Paradise or CMA... but I am a pretty big fan of detailing who enjoys his Porter Cable and Einzett's products.
Truth be told....there are many excellent detailing polishes and waxes out there....3M Mothers, Meguaires, etc are all excellent...use them all. P21S is my favorite carnuba including their gloss enhancer.
As mentioned, read the sticky on Roadfly...very well done. Steve L. over there is a man of integrity....very talented and articulate detailing guy who has also showcased his talent on TV.
Love to polish the Bimmer....a joy.
Enjoy your new PC.
George

Jr ///M5
12-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Listen to Mike S. about washing and claying the car before you start with the polish and the PC. It's very important to remove all the embedded grit with the clay process or you will end up grinding this grit all over your paint with the PC.

You won't believe how your car will look and feel when you are finished. There are some nice pad kits out there, but learning to use the PC with the white foam polishing pad and some of the less expensive Meguires polishes will yield nice results and give you some practice before you plop down some serious cash for the so-called "better" products.

As George says, you'll love polishing the bimmer....getting finished in one-fourth of the time without blowing out the old elbow is also a BIG plus...

Have fun!
Jr

tim
12-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have a few questions.

First off, if someone's reading and hasn't checked out this awesome post, well, check it out: http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158378

Ok-

1) Do you apply the final wax with the PC, let dry, then take off by hand with MF towel, or use a terry bonnet on the PC?

2) My bumpers (the nice part, on the tops), are kinda scratched. It it ok to use a cutting polish on them too?

3) Do you use masking tape on the body trim, and window chrome?

TIA,
tim

George M
12-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi Tim,
your answers:
1. Purists don't use a PC to apply wax or remove it...only for the polishing phase.
Instead apply finish wax by hand and remove it the same way. Depends what kind of
vehicle I am doing and time constraints which also influences types of products used...
polishes, any glaze and/or cleaner versus waxes without any chemical or mechanical polishing properties.
2. Yes, you can use the PC for your bumpers but because of their shape, may be
easier to rub out your bumpers by hand.
3. Always mask your black trim when you polish or wax to prevent staining. P21S carnuba is known to be pure carnuba without staining ingredients but I always mask anyway because the gloss is affected as well. Use a good quality, low adhesive painter's tape like made from 3M...available at any hardware or paint store.
HTH's...enjoy it.
George