PDA

View Full Version : Defective Relay for Angel Eyes

Incantation
12-25-2004, 03:34 AM
hey guys,

ok well I donno if anyone has experienced this yet but...

I got a pair of angel eyes as purchased on ebay.. they look great.. work great, etc.. BUT about 2 weeks ago they stopped working.. so i had a look at the wiring, only to find that the relay (after opening it) was all rusted inside. So i bought a new relay and they work again; this one was from Lordco and has a lifetime warranty (was 40 bucks Canadian) so if it happens again i can just take it back

anyway.. you guys that have angel eyes might want to seal the relay with some duct tape or glue gun.. i didn't think water would get into mine where i had it located but i guess condensation did its thing.

one question.. i replaced the 30 amp relay with a 25 amp one.. will this make the angel eye rings dimmer? or is this bad? any input would be appreciated..
cheers

winfred
12-25-2004, 10:27 AM
i think those things usually run on led's which draw almost nothing, so a 25 amp relay wouldn't affect anything

one question.. i replaced the 30 amp relay with a 25 amp one.. will this make the angel eye rings dimmer? or is this bad? any input would be appreciated..
cheers

bahnstormer
12-25-2004, 10:31 AM
the ebay ones don't run on leds. they run on 4 bulbs. so yeah it could make it
dimmer. i'm not sure what kinda bulbs they're using so i can't figure it out

winfred
12-25-2004, 10:47 AM
don't these goobers realize led's are brighter and last longer and don't get hot so they can be installed directly into the plastic rings?!

the ebay ones don't run on leds. they run on 4 bulbs. so yeah it could make it
dimmer. i'm not sure what kinda bulbs they're using so i can't figure it out

rockyfeller
12-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Ebay rings are most often LEDs (as far as I've seen and bought). I don't remember them even requiring a relay, they are so low draw. The other rings made with the incadescent bulbs are for those euro headlights with the angeleyes bulit into them from the factory. The 4 bulbs are arranged facing forward, lighting the ring from it's natural dispersion of light. They emit a yellowish hue, but I wanted a white LED "HIDish" hue to match my beautiful HID color. But LEDs in that arrangement would have light thats too concentrated forward. It would look like 4 dots. The LEDs would have to face within the ring within the plane of the ring to work. Stuuupid design! Yes! The bulbs used are very small and thin almost like a flashlight/christmas light bulb design. Anyone know where I could get em at least in that "hyperwhite" color? I dread the day 1 of these bulbs go out and I have to DISASSEMBLE everything to get behind the headlight to get to them!

bahnstormer
12-25-2004, 01:56 PM
i have the depo european ellipsoids with built in angel eyes bought off ebay from taiwan.

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~szwarc/e34/angel%20eyes.jpg

led's are crap. cold cathode ray tube is the best i think, that's what DDE uses.

Incantation
12-25-2004, 04:08 PM
yea.. you can see it's a little brighter in a spot on every 90 degrees of the circle.. stupid design. why did they not go with LED?!?

Incantation
12-25-2004, 04:10 PM
yea those are identical to mine. you should get the carbon fibre eyebrows to cover the tops of the circles so they look like true "angel eye" .. the circles aren't nearly as aggressive looking as when covered at the top. i have the brows and used phantom tape to cover the bulb from 10:30 to 1:30 .. and it looks very aggressive :D

bahnstormer
12-25-2004, 07:39 PM
pics?

Incantation
12-26-2004, 02:47 AM
not sure how to post.. email me Incantation@Novus-tele.net and i can send to u

bahnstormer
12-26-2004, 01:42 PM
sent

rockyfeller
12-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Ditto, those are the same as mine as well. I assumed they were LED b4 buying them too. I have NO idea why they ever made them like this. Truly retarted design. At least they were smart enough to design the rings within the glass lens, which is what I like the most. LEDs would have been less complicated and cheaper. I homemade my previous angeleyes with beautiful white LEDs. The color was better than my present yellowish color (Guess they look more OEM BMW that way.) Definitely the newest and greatest thing out now are the newest generation CCFL angel eyes. They are super bright and can be seen in daylight, plus have a cool white glow. Only problem is the rings are not flexible and I don't think they make ones to fit our larger E34 headlight housing just yet. I have seen them on plenty E36s (those bastards get all the cutting edge acessories 1st! Like the cool LED tail-light conversions; why can't we get those too?) and they look great!

Incantation
12-27-2004, 05:01 AM
yea BUT they do have these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4514699267&category=6755&sspagename=WDVW

:) which look great on the car... i have a pair myself. i think LEDs might look goodl.. i know they look great on newer cars but e34s aren't new cars.. i'm not sure it would look good. then again i'd have to see one designed with them

anyway those ebay ones are a great upgrade to the stock lights imo