PDA

View Full Version : M20 engine removal and replacement?

nsbone_1988_520i
12-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Hi,
I am planning to swap my M20B20 with B25 engine and as usual this is going to be DIY adventure for me.

Appreciate a procedure eg:
- where would be the engine lift point (is the bracket at front of engine)?
- Is it easy to pull out engine with gearbox intact?

Merry christmas..

winfred
12-24-2004, 08:13 PM
on a e34 the engine and tranny can come out together, the front lifting point is that bracket at the timing cover and the rear point is the hole in the block just to the inside of the starter, it's a bit of a pain to get a regular chain hook into it, a wire hook (the one that looks like a S) works good

Hi,
I am planning to swap my M20B20 with B25 engine and as usual this is going to be DIY adventure for me.

Appreciate a procedure eg:
- where would be the engine lift point (is the bracket at front of engine)?
- Is it easy to pull out engine with gearbox intact?

Merry christmas..

nsbone_1988_520i
12-24-2004, 11:01 PM
on a e34 the engine and tranny can come out together, the front lifting point is that bracket at the timing cover and the rear point is the hole in the block just to the inside of the starter, it's a bit of a pain to get a regular chain hook into it, a wire hook (the one that looks like a S) works good

So there's another lifting point at the back? With the 2 lifting points, how do tilt the engine and to almost vertical, by hand (so can get the length of engine+tranny out)?

Similarly when putting back the engine with tranny, for vertical position back to horizontal, can u do this by "hercules" hand?

Thanks for more tips...

winfred
12-24-2004, 11:58 PM
heres how i set up my crane, i welded a comealong to the side of the lifting arm to do the tilting, i hook it's cable to the rear chain leaving plenty of slack in the chain leting the cable hold the motor, that way to lower the rear of the motor you just pay out the cable to lower or reel it in the raise the back
incase you don't know this is a comealong (http://www.nationalwholesaletools.com/browseproducts/2-Ton-Heavy-Duty-Hand-Puller--Comealong.HTML)
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/crane.jpg

winfred
12-25-2004, 12:01 AM
i've tried those screw type leveling bars and don't like them, but that's another option

nsbone_1988_520i
12-25-2004, 02:51 AM
heres how i set up my crane, i welded a comealong to the side of the lifting arm to do the tilting, i hook it's cable to the rear chain leaving plenty of slack in the chain leting the cable hold the motor, that way to lower the rear of the motor you just pay out the cable to lower or reel it in the raise the back

Winfred,
That's a nice setup. It's clear what i need to do, so i'll figure that out. I think i don't have luxury for the comealong pulley...

Wish me luck for the coming conversion.

The M20B25 is still intact with the head, hear's what i am planning to do:
- replace the crank seals (front and rear)
- replace cam seal
- replace head bolt, head gasket, valve seals
- water pump
- belts

Anything else i'd miss out?