PDA

View Full Version : Symptom: Squeak when depressing clutch pedal

rph
12-24-2004, 03:36 PM
For a few weeks now I have been getting a squeak when I push the clutch pedal down to the floor. The noise is not from inside the car, rather from underneath near the transmission. Since there are no external mechanical linkages to lubricate, I fear what I am hearing is something from inside the transmission, possibly throw-out bearing, heralding the need for a new clutch kit in the not so distant future? Also, I feel slight resistance sometimes when depressing the pedal, but it might be my imagination.

winfred
12-24-2004, 07:08 PM
at 65k you may still have the orignal clutch, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just get a clutch kit and get it over before it blows up and strands you, i've seen a few pressure plates die from age, or it's possible that the lube has dried up on the sliding surface that the throw out bearing rides on, ether case it needs to come out to besure whats up if nothing can be found on the outside, better to do it when it's conveinant then have it crap on you. you should be able to find a clutch kit for around $250

For a few weeks now I have been getting a squeak when I push the clutch pedal down to the floor. The noise is not from inside the car, rather from underneath near the transmission. Since there are no external mechanical linkages to lubricate, I fear what I am hearing is something from inside the transmission, possibly throw-out bearing, heralding the need for a new clutch kit in the not so distant future? Also, I feel slight resistance sometimes when depressing the pedal, but it might be my imagination.

rph
12-25-2004, 12:00 AM
It is the original clutch (I've got all the service records and paperwork from when the car was brand new). Seems a bit soon given the miles, but the car is nearly 14 years old. Winfred, I agree its better to replace at a convenient time before it packs up. Apart from the squeak the transmission functions normally.

at 65k you may still have the orignal clutch, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just get a clutch kit and get it over before it blows up and strands you, i've seen a few pressure plates die from age, or it's possible that the lube has dried up on the sliding surface that the throw out bearing rides on, ether case it needs to come out to besure whats up if nothing can be found on the outside, better to do it when it's conveinant then have it crap on you. you should be able to find a clutch kit for around $250

winfred
12-25-2004, 12:08 AM
once they get this old the pressure plate usually wears out or the throw out bearing craps

It is the original clutch (I've got all the service records and paperwork from when the car was brand new). Seems a bit soon given the miles, but the car is nearly 14 years old. Winfred, I agree its better to replace at a convenient time before it packs up. Apart from the squeak the transmission functions normally.

rph
12-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Rats. I thought as much. Thanks for the opinion, and have a happy Christmas. PS Santa brought me an EAT chip. Ho ho ho.

once they get this old the pressure plate usually wears out or the throw out bearing craps

Ted K
12-25-2004, 01:05 PM
What are other signs that the clutch may be going? I have a 90 535 5 speed with 140K. I have only had it about 4 months. It seems to be driving great.

winfred
12-25-2004, 01:52 PM
odd noises or weird feeling pedel or slipping under full power, the common noise on a 535 is the rattling twin mass flywheel at idle (sounds like a diesel with the squirrel running around in a tin can noise)

What are other signs that the clutch may be going? I have a 90 535 5 speed with 140K. I have only had it about 4 months. It seems to be driving great.