PDA

View Full Version : cd changer shows "err", any ideas??

John in Nova Scotia
12-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Hey all,
I have an 89 535i with a cdx-m30 changer in the trunk that I installed last year. I have just returned from 6 months in England and my wife has been having problems with the changer for the last month or so. When I put the band to CD it shows the disc number but the track does not start. I can hear the discs changing when I select a different disc but after about 10 seconds or so I get "err" showing on the display. Any ideas or fixes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
John in Nova Scotia
89 535i

winfred
12-23-2004, 09:30 PM
it may have a fuzzball on the lens or it may need it's reset button pressed

chefdanny121
12-23-2004, 09:35 PM
i had the same problem on my changer 3mths ago and had to send mine away to get fixed!!!! it was a microprocessor that was bad!
good luck

Jr ///M5
12-23-2004, 10:37 PM
You are loading the CD's upside down, correct? Remember the label goes down for this unit....Wouldn't it be nice if it was that simple. =)

Jr

Paul in NZ
12-24-2004, 12:13 AM
when it showed ERR on the display

John in Nova Scotia
12-24-2004, 04:25 PM
it may have a fuzzball on the lens or it may need it's reset button pressed

Seemed to be clean but blew it out with a can of air anyway. I put it back together and it worked for one or two starts and then "err" showed up again. One thing that I noticed was that there was a small ball bearing rattling around inside when I originally took it apart . I couldn't see where it would go and being that it worked for a short time after being put back together, I thought it was ok...obviously not...lol. Were you serious about a reset? If so where would it be?
Thanks
John
Have a great xmas

John in Nova Scotia
12-24-2004, 04:27 PM
You are loading the CD's upside down, correct? Remember the label goes down for this unit....Wouldn't it be nice if it was that simple. =)

Jr

winfred
12-24-2004, 06:53 PM
the little hole above and to the right of the eject button should be the reset
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/cdxm30.JPG

Were you serious about a reset? If so where would it be?
Thanks
John
Have a great xmas

John in Nova Scotia
12-25-2004, 12:47 PM
hear it going through the cd's but no difference. I even tried switching between cd's before the "err" message comes up and can hear the cd's changing but still just ends up with the "err" on the display in the end.
Thanks alot though
guess I will have to call around and see if anyone in the area works on them
John in Nova Scotia
89 535i

Qsilver7
12-25-2004, 04:59 PM
hear it going through the cd's but no difference. I even tried switching between cd's before the "err" message comes up and can hear the cd's changing but still just ends up with the "err" on the display in the end.
Thanks alot though
guess I will have to call around and see if anyone in the area works on them
John in Nova Scotia
89 535i
Sometimes...the problem is the CD magazine is worn out or just becomes stubborn. I have a Pioneer CDX M30 changer in the Touring and the regular BMW CD changer in the e38...both use the the same type of CD magazine and I have 2 Pioneer magazines and 1 BMW magazine. The BMW magazine works great in both changers...but one of the Pioneer magazines only works in the e38's BMW changer...when I put it into the Tourings CD changer, it will only recognize a few of the CDs or give an ERROR message.

I think you can pick up new CD magazines on eBay, Circuit City, and maybe online at Crutchfield (and there's always your local BMW dealer)...but I'm sure they will overcharge for it...well, lets go see at the online parts database... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&prod=19951100&btnr=65_0130&hg=65&fg=05

Yep, way too much for a 6-CD magazine! (see item #13 in the diagram at the above link) :p

winfred
12-25-2004, 06:04 PM
between my m30 in my 325 and the 091 in my 535 i've got 4 or 5 magazines that are a mixture of pioneer and bmw and i've never had a problem in ether car

Sometimes...the problem is the CD magazine is worn out or just becomes stubborn. I have a Pioneer CDX M30 changer in the Touring and the regular BMW CD changer in the e38...both use the the same type of CD magazine and I have 2 Pioneer magazines and 1 BMW magazine. The BMW magazine works great in both changers...but one of the Pioneer magazines only works in the e38's BMW changer...when I put it into the Tourings CD changer, it will only recognize a few of the CDs or give an ERROR message.

Qsilver7
12-25-2004, 06:49 PM
between my m30 in my 325 and the 091 in my 535 i've got 4 or 5 magazines that are a mixture of pioneer and bmw and i've never had a problem in ether car
one of your good ones for the one I have that doesn't work in both changers! :D :D :D

I was getting ready to take the m30 changer out to work on it...then thought why not check the magazine first...I'm glad I did. :)