PDA

View Full Version : Oil Sprayer Bar

Hector
12-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Forgot to clean the sprayer bar when I installed the head recently. So I was thinking about pulling out the 4 head bolts that hold the sprayer bar and either clean the damn thing or buy a new one. Just want to make certain I have the correct oil drip rate for most effective lube to the cam lobes. You fellas think that this can be done with no issues of compromising head gasket integrity?

632 Regal
12-23-2004, 07:45 PM
set it and forget it...I dont really think its a bonus to be removing and reinstalling headbolts. There is pressure in the spraybar, the oil doesnt just "drip" off. LOL...your about as anal as me though!

:D

Hector
12-23-2004, 08:36 PM
came out with the hair spray to hide bald spots. As soon as you washed your hair, the "paint" had gone down the drain. Gotta love him for havng the balls to advertise such a product nationwide. LOL.

Anyway Jeff, always wondered if the oil sprayer bar actually drips or squirts. How'd ya know if it doesn't drip? The actual hole is almost microscopic. You can fit a pin in there with little tolerance so I'd be really surprised if it does anything other than drip.

Anal? I guess it must've rubbed off from some of you here. Can't say it is a bad thing though because it is related to something I have spent a lot time on repairing/maitaining.

Headbolts are a no-brainer. I'd just buy 4 new ones a repeat torquing sequence. I'm worried about the head gasket. Don't want to run the risk of poor sealing/leaks later down the road

Bill R.
12-23-2004, 08:48 PM
drip, its more like it runs...you can run it with the valve cover off , but it slings oil everywhere if you do...Don't ask me how i know this...
The real problem with taking the bolts out is that its hard to keep oil from running into the holes and if that happens then its likely you can hydraulic the block by screwing a bolt into a hole with oil in the bottom , not a good thing to happen...I think i would chance that the spray bar is clean enough rather than take it loose.

came out with the hair spray to hide bald spots. As soon as you washed your hair, the "paint" had gone down the drain. Gotta love him for havng the balls to advertise such a product nationwide. LOL.

Anyway Jeff, always wondered if the oil sprayer bar actually drips or squirts. How'd ya know if it doesn't drip? The actual hole is almost microscopic. You can fit a pin in there with little tolerance so I'd be really surprised if it does anything other than drip.

Anal? I guess it must've rubbed off from some of you here. Can't say it is a bad thing though because it is related to something I have spent a lot time on repairing/maitaining.

Headbolts are a no-brainer. I'd just buy 4 new ones a repeat torquing sequence. I'm worried about the head gasket. Don't want to run the risk of poor sealing/leaks later down the road

winfred
12-23-2004, 09:17 PM
if your worried about plugged holes take a pick with a 90 degree end on it and poke em out, i wouldn't screw with the head bolts for that

George M
12-24-2004, 08:21 AM
I definitely wouldn't mess with it...Mobil 1 should keep the bar clean if not clean it over time. Risk versus reward isn't there. You can "what if" most engine parts and second guess yourself to death. Lastly...quite certain the bar can be removed without removing the head bolts...can be slid out once banjo bolts are removed....BMW's design intent. Try that first if you must remove the bar for peace of mind :-) Lastly there is a faintly etched > on the bar. This > should be oriented toward the front of the car for correct alignment of hole positions under the bar relative to rocker position(s). Some miss this when they reinstall the bar after a top end rebuild.
HTH,
George

Hector
12-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Bill: Yeah I second that. I'm not too crazy about doing this job. There are too many uncertainties all of which are not worth risking to relieve satisfy a hunch. I just might take the valve cover off and check out how much oil is running.

Winfred: I tried what you suggested (Don also suggested this) and couldn't fit in the hole a certain right angle pick that I have. So I tried another one I have that is really pointy and still couldn't fit it in there. Finally, I tried a needle-like pick and it went in but wasn't stiff enough to do any meaningful cleaning.

George: The sprayer bar is installed correctly. I made sure of that when I was installing it... paid close attention to the arrow direction. About sliding the bar out, that is interesting. I now remember that this could be done but first I might check how much oil is running through the holes with the valve cover off. Not too excited about this as well cause the engine has been cleaned and parts painted. Since I'm using Mobil 0W-40, then this might to the cleaning for me.

Bill R.
12-24-2004, 04:01 PM
buy a thin sheet of plexiglass or lucite 1/8 so you can roll it into a arc that will lay over the open valve cover area and cover the timing chain area to contain the splash...then you'll have to keep it low enough to be able to put the maf hose back on too.....will save you lots of oil cleanup this way...

Bill: Yeah I second that. I'm not too crazy about doing this job. There are too many uncertainties all of which are not worth risking to relieve satisfy a hunch. I just might take the valve cover off and check out how much oil is running.

Winfred: I tried what you suggested (Don also suggested this) and couldn't fit in the hole a certain right angle pick that I have. So I tried another one I have that is really pointy and still couldn't fit it in there. Finally, I tried a needle-like pick and it went in but wasn't stiff enough to do any meaningful cleaning.

George: The sprayer bar is installed correctly. I made sure of that when I was installing it... paid close attention to the arrow direction. About sliding the bar out, that is interesting. I now remember that this could be done but first I might check how much oil is running through the holes with the valve cover off. Not too excited about this as well cause the engine has been cleaned and parts painted. Since I'm using Mobil 0W-40, then this might to the cleaning for me.

632 Regal
12-24-2004, 05:46 PM
buy a thin sheet of plexiglass or lucite 1/8 so you can roll it into a arc that will lay over the open valve cover area and cover the timing chain area to contain the splash...then you'll have to keep it low enough to be able to put the maf hose back on too.....will save you lots of oil cleanup this way...

ERIC MILLER
12-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Forgot to clean the sprayer bar when I installed the head recently. So I was thinking about pulling out the 4 head bolts that hold the sprayer bar and either clean the damn thing or buy a new one. Just want to make certain I have the correct oil drip rate for most effective lube to the cam lobes. You fellas think that this can be done with no issues of compromising head gasket integrity?

ERIC MILLER
12-24-2004, 08:47 PM
first off the head gasket & spray bar have little to do with one another?..Here's the best idea for the spray bar...get a new crush washers...then take a 1/16 drill bit & be careful & drill thru one of the corner of the hex..this way you can take some .
.030 monel safety wire & torque the "banjo bolts" & then run the wire thru the hole & around the bar & they will never come out again & no flat camshaft...i have been doing this for many years & charge 75.00 this includes a valve adj. & new gasket! this the only & best I have seen...I have seen the factory banjo bolts with the lock tite on them floating around under the valve cover!!!

cadman20
12-24-2004, 08:47 PM
hydraulic the block?

Exactly what is this?

winfred
12-24-2004, 09:13 PM
oil/water in a head bolt hole can crack the block when the head bolt is screwed down onto it, hydraulic pressure can blow out a part of the block or crack it, it's no myth it happens

hydraulic the block?

Exactly what is this?

winfred
12-24-2004, 09:16 PM
the spray bar is fastened to the head besides the banjo bolts by a couple straps that have head bolts going through them on m30s

first off the head gasket & spray bar have little to do with one another?

cadman20
12-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Great, last week I replaced my valve eccentrics and set my valves. Well, I also removed my oiler bar to clean it and loctite my banjo bolts........

Hmmmmm, if I hydrauliced my block what should I be looking for? Car is running great, no water in the oil. plus the new eccentrics really quietened it down.

Did I get lucky?

winfred
12-24-2004, 09:52 PM
generally the oil or water only gets into the holes in decent qualitys when the head is removed, a certain amount of luck was involved but not that much

cadman20
12-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Alright, thanks for the info. Learn something every day.