PDA

View Full Version : 535i 1991 - adding transmission fluid - help

Thanos
12-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Apologies for this simpleminded question, but here goes:

In May I had my transmission fluid changed by my shop, and they noted that they had to add more - perhaps a pint? - than they replaced, and that they thought that some of the seals might needed replacement. I would like to add some fluid now to see what I may have lost over the summer. How is this done? And...if it needs a top off every 6 months or so...is this the way to go rather than replacing the seals?

Thanks, and best wishes for the holidays. Thanos

632 Regal
12-23-2004, 07:10 PM
If it is an auto trans,

car must be level, you must have access to the pan and enough room to pump the fluid up into the trans pan, trans must be appx 100 degrees. You will need a 14mm (?) hex to remove the fill plug. Crack the plug loose, start the car with brake on go from low gear through all the gears until back in park and then go under and remove the plug. Add fluid until it pours back out and replace the plug...done.

winfred
12-23-2004, 09:37 PM
not quite so grasshopper the 4hp22 has a dipstick, drive it about 5 miles to warm it up and park on level ground idling in neutral and check the stick, between the lines is good, don't add more then about a 1/2 quart at a time to lessen the chances of overfilling

If it is an auto trans,

car must be level, you must have access to the pan and enough room to pump the fluid up into the trans pan, trans must be appx 100 degrees. You will need a 14mm (?) hex to remove the fill plug. Crack the plug loose, start the car with brake on go from low gear through all the gears until back in park and then go under and remove the plug. Add fluid until it pours back out and replace the plug...done.

Thanos
12-23-2004, 09:40 PM
It's a manual! IS the procedure the same??

winfred
12-23-2004, 09:46 PM
ah a stick, remove upper plug and fill till it runs out, if i remember right it's a 17mm allen (you can make a removal tool from a old lug bolt and a couple nuts jamed together)

It's a manual! IS the procedure the same??

Thanos
12-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Is this accessible from under the car?
THanks a million, guys.

winfred
12-23-2004, 10:19 PM
yep