PDA

View Full Version : Sound System no sound but stereo is ON

Asamaan
12-23-2004, 11:17 AM
My car developed a problem in the audio system. It's a 91 535ia, and all of a suden the sound stopped coming out of the speakers. If I turn the volume all the way up, i can barely hear some audio. At some point it cut off and kicked back on for another hour but it stopped working again and this time for good. I am guessing the AMP has problems. How do I go in trouble shooting it so that I don't go replacing the amp and something else is the culprit?

Thanks
Al

bimmerd00d
12-23-2004, 12:11 PM
sounds like your head unit was sending it's audio signal, the faint sound you heard at full volume, and the amp was not providing the added power.

winfred
12-23-2004, 01:37 PM
make sure that the fuse isn't cracked on the amp, it's between the two plugs

Asamaan
12-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Checked the fuse and it's good, I checked the power 12 V and Negative and also control and all seem good. I messed around with the amp a little and hit it once or twice and sound came back and went away again, so I am guessing a cracked solder somewhere, but most likely won't be able to fix on my own, unless I get a diagram of the amp.

What to do next to replace it? I want to keep the stock radio and changer, so just need to replace the amp, do I get a used one or is there aftermarket ones that I can use.

Thanks
Al

winfred
12-30-2004, 09:18 PM
somebody here on the board probably has a good used one that they removed for a aftermarket stereo that could be had cheep

Checked the fuse and it's good, I checked the power 12 V and Negative and also control and all seem good. I messed around with the amp a little and hit it once or twice and sound came back and went away again, so I am guessing a cracked solder somewhere, but most likely won't be able to fix on my own, unless I get a diagram of the amp.

What to do next to replace it? I want to keep the stock radio and changer, so just need to replace the amp, do I get a used one or is there aftermarket ones that I can use.

Thanks
Al

Asamaan
12-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks Winfred