PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain to a first-time BMW (E34) owner

zygoteer
12-22-2004, 01:31 PM
I have only had my 535i for 2 weeks now .. and its marvellous ! .... however, wading through the threads here, I am now confused ... someone please enlighten me about the following :-

The words "Nikasil" and "Vanos" keep cropping up and each thread assumes the reader knows what they mean to start with !

Just what is the context of these words ????

Kalevera
12-22-2004, 01:45 PM
I have only had my 535i for 2 weeks now .. and its marvellous ! .... however, wading through the threads here, I am now confused ... someone please enlighten me about the following :-

The words "Nikasil" and "Vanos" keep cropping up and each thread assumes the reader knows what they mean to start with !

Nikasil refers to the impregnated alloy used in early BMW V8 engines. Such material can react adversely with the high sulfur content gas that is used in some of the USA's southern states, necessitating a new short block. The Alusil block that replaced it gets worse gas mileage. No worries, however - your M30 (engine in the 535i) isn't affected by this at all.

VANOS is BMW's variable valve timing technology. Same idea as Honda's VTEC and Toyota's VVTi. It adjusts the valves during the power cycle to get either the best fuel economy, torque/hp combo, or both. This tech only applies to the 2.5l engine found in later e34's (M50TU only, I believe), not to your M30.

Congrats on becoming an owner - it's a great feeling, eh?

best, LOWELL

winfred
12-22-2004, 01:46 PM
nikasil is the coating that failed on the early v8s, not your consern
and also not a consern is vanos, variable valve timing on the 91 and up 525s

632 Regal
12-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Nikasil is an enhancement that they did only to certain engine blocks resulting in an enormous increase in power output and significant weight savings.

Seriously though, Read this (http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/v8shortblock.htm)

And Vanos, read here (http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/vanos.htm)

Probably more than you ever wanted to know but if your serious about learning about these cars you will at least be knowledgeable on the subjects.

Derek A.
12-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Vanos is also on 2000 and up BMW v8's - makes a pronouced difference in the amount of low end torque those motors put out.

zygoteer
12-22-2004, 04:25 PM
WOW ! what a precise and cogent answer so quickly ... thank you all concerned.

Isn't it nice to know of these aspects ? even if it doesnt affect me :)

and just to say .. I am enjoying the car immensely !

Well worth treble the £600 I paid ... a Jan.1990 model with all the goodies which still all work ... and I got a full service history ( I was pleased to see the air con unit was replaced last year - cost £1200 too !!!! omg what have I let myself in for ? ) ... only thing so far is one of the reversing lights doesn't work, even after I changed the bulb - maybe its an oxidised contact ...it wasn't used much before I got it - I will fix that this weekend.

The in-traffic mileage is not so good though at about 18 mpg ( Imperial gallons that is in England ! )
on a run I get about 26 according to the OBC ... so not too bad .. but what the Hell ..I am enjoying it way too much ... the kick-down in 'sport' mode is kinda nice too :)

Dick Schneiders
12-22-2004, 06:05 PM
for the M62 engine.

Vanos is also on 2000 and up BMW v8's - makes a pronouced difference in the amount of low end torque those motors put out.