PDA

View Full Version : two problems

liquidtiger720
12-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Hi.

I just got my car back from a transmission shop after getting it rebuilt. When i tap the brakes hard and quickly the car will make a noticeable clunk noise. As far as I know, they only took off the swaybar.

A second thing is that the dash section that shows you what gear and mode you are in is sometimes on and sometimes does not work. This is probably a loose connection somewhere, but where?

Thanks in advance.

RobPatt
12-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi.
re: #1 I'd guess thrust arms bad (allowing front wheels to jostle fore and aft, or sway bar links...
re: #2 I'd guess to clean the gear selector contacts, pry up front first (make little wire hooks), then rear on the trim around the selector.....(need hex to take off the gear selector handle) you'll see the white plastic unit w/contacts inside... cheers, Rob. '93 525ia 131K.

Hi.

I just got my car back from a transmission shop after getting it rebuilt. When i tap the brakes hard and quickly the car will make a noticeable clunk noise. As far as I know, they only took off the swaybar.

A second thing is that the dash section that shows you what gear and mode you are in is sometimes on and sometimes does not work. This is probably a loose connection somewhere, but where?

Thanks in advance.

bimmerd00d
12-21-2004, 11:10 PM
mine did this as well right after i replaced my tranny. I've noticed that the E34's suspension doesn't like to be unloaded for a prolonged amount of time, seems to make things loose. For instance i got new tires today, and while it was up on the lift for only about 30 minutes, it did clunk quite a bit right after, and after about 20 miles it returned to normal for some reason. Drive it a bit more and see what improves.

liquidtiger720
12-22-2004, 02:44 AM
thanks for the replies. ill be checking tommorow.

would it make any difference that it was fine 1 week ago, and the pop can be heard first thing in the morning when driving off, but would have to procede as described above ot replicate it?

ill try replacing the sway bar links first. thanks again.

liquidtiger720
12-22-2004, 07:49 PM
are the thrust arms suppose to move backward and foward when hit? i noticed that when it was up on the lift, we punched the tire and i noticed that it moved. I am pretty sure this is the problem. When revving a lil with brakes applied, the whole tired moved back a little, once brakes were released, the tire "jolted" back foward.

So, my last question is, how much do thrust arms cost? where is the cheapest place to get them? and are they unbarably hard to intall?

oh yea, is there an upgrade for the bushings? something like 740 bushings, or is that for something else?

TIA