PDA

View Full Version : M60 Radiator replacement

PatrickPGH
12-21-2004, 04:06 PM
On the 10th day of Christmas my bimmer gave to me...

A broken plastic radiator!

I've changed radiators on several other cars, Volvos and Hondas, but never on a BMW or a V8 for that matter. Any known sticking points or problem areas? I've ordered, from BMA of course the extra clips and will be draining the coolant from the radiator and the passenger side drain.

Also, I've searched the archive but I haven't been able to find an answer to the following question. Is it necessary to remove the fan when replacing the radiator in a 530 automatic transmission?

Thanks in advance!

Pat

tim
12-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Piece of cake. Get new radiator. Get two new rad mount clips (although I have acquired the art of removing them without breaking them, I put new ones on anyway). Drain system, Remove fan, remove fan shroud, undo the hoses (yes the AT cooler lines too). Pull old one up and out, drop new one down and in. Now reverse your steps. There aren't really any gotcha's. You need to take the fan off, because the shroud won't clear the fan on the reinstall, and if you try to force it you are apt to scuff up your rad fins.

It's an excellent time to change out water pump, pulleys, belts etc. as you have alot of room when the rad is out anyway.

Shaun
12-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Piece of cake. Get new radiator. Get two new rad mount clips (although I have acquired the art of removing them without breaking them, I put new ones on anyway). Drain system, Remove fan, remove fan shroud, undo the hoses (yes the AT cooler lines too). Pull old one up and out, drop new one down and in. Now reverse your steps. There aren't really any gotcha's. You need to take the fan off, because the shroud won't clear the fan on the reinstall, and if you try to force it you are apt to scuff up your rad fins.

It's an excellent time to change out water pump, pulleys, belts etc. as you have alot of room when the rad is out anyway.

I'm not sure if there's a large different between your auto and my standard, but I was able to unfasten the shroud, place it over the fan, remove the radiator, drop in the new radiator, re-fasten the shroud. No removing of the fan was required.

Again, not sure if this is a difference between AT/MT or what.

tim s
12-21-2004, 08:19 PM
tim s.

PatrickPGH
12-22-2004, 08:59 AM
This is what I was hoping to hear. I'll be doing this on Christmas Eve and would rather be spending time with family than in the garage with the space heater on full blast.

I'm not sure if there's a large different between your auto and my standard, but I was able to unfasten the shroud, place it over the fan, remove the radiator, drop in the new radiator, re-fasten the shroud. No removing of the fan was required.

Again, not sure if this is a difference between AT/MT or what.

Bill R.
12-22-2004, 09:50 AM
do the job if you remove the fan first.. And its easy to remove. Plus once its out and the shroud and radiator are out, you have a chance to inspect all the belts, hoses,pulleys etc. I never change one without pulling the fan.

This is what I was hoping to hear. I'll be doing this on Christmas Eve and would rather be spending time with family than in the garage with the space heater on full blast.

winfred
12-22-2004, 09:58 AM
for some reason all of the 530s i've worked on the fan shroud has nearly turned to powder so you may want to check that you don't need one too, it may explode on contact. it can be done without removing the fan and not all at 530s had the at cooler as part of the radiator, there was a couple different ones

PatrickPGH
12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
I read somewhere that a thin 32 mm wrench should be used to remove the fan, is this true? Any tools necessary for this job?

Thanks,

do the job if you remove the fan first.. And its easy to remove. Plus once its out and the shroud and radiator are out, you have a chance to inspect all the belts, hoses,pulleys etc. I never change one without pulling the fan.

tim
12-22-2004, 06:19 PM
It needs to be long also. Most of us have picked up a bicycle spanner in our travels. I can't remember the link for when I got mine (may be on the archives, but it was a bike shop). There are two schools- whack the spanner with the belt on to loosen it, or, put the belt aside, and put a rubber strap wrench around the water pump pulley, and do a push/pull. I vote for the latter.

If you get skunked on finding one, I have a spare to sell you, but you'll have to beg and grovel. Perhaps you have trade bait?

Bill R.
12-22-2004, 11:26 PM
couple of bucks, then i ground one side down slightly with a 5 inch grinder to make it just thin enough to fit. Its fairly heavy and one light wack with a medium size hammer and the fan comes right off.... Turn clockwise to loosen, its a reverse thread.

I read somewhere that a thin 32 mm wrench should be used to remove the fan, is this true? Any tools necessary for this job?

Thanks,

Super90
12-23-2004, 09:49 AM
When I have done my 530im ("m" for manual gear box) I didn't remove the fan, and my fan shroud was fine. As mentioned, pulling the fan is easy with a 1 1/4" wrench, and I didn't even grind mine down; it's a standard issue wrench from the local discount tool shop. I would indeed get the new radiator clips, you will more than likely destroy them. Also, pay careful attention to the rubber feet that go on the radiator and the little plastic "pads" they sit in. Make sure you get all that aligned right when re-installing. It's not at all difficult, but just something to note.

After doing my car, I did my friend's 540i-sport about six months later. We had his done in an hour and a half, including a trip to the parts house for a bigger drain pan.

While you have the system drained, you might also replace the thermostat housing and maybe even the water pump if that hasn't been done in the last 60-70k miles.. I would definitely do the t-stat housing. Mine had a hair-line crack in it about four months after I did the radiator. It's a cheap part, easy to get to and a bit frustrating to replace after you just did the radiator recently. Just drop a new one in and sleep comfortably.