PDA

View Full Version : TRANS Program "HELP"

jmccartney
12-20-2004, 05:50 PM
1995 540i... It all started with a 1221 code. First, I changed the O2 sensors with no change, then installed a used MAF with some success. The CEL went off for a while and the car ran good. A few days later i got a 1222 code (Rich/lean condition) While I was diagnosing the 1222 issue, I started the car with the Idle Control Valve off the intake manifold and the speed sensor disconnected. The car started but now i have the TRANS PROGRAM message.

The good news is i think i found the original problem which was the vacum line to the fuel regulator was broke causing an air leak but now it is stuck in Limp mode. I have since double checked everything from the ICV, Speed Sensor, Temp Sensor, Charging system, etc... I am hoping i did not fry the ECM.

A couple of questions:
- Can the ECM (or trans computer) be reset or does it reset when the condidtions are fixed? If it needs to be reset, how?
- The ICV shows 12v but Bentley says it should have 5v.
- How do you check the relays?

Any pointers would be a big help!

tim
12-20-2004, 09:45 PM
dude, you got issues.
The tranny computer can be reset by removing the top electrical harness from the box and leaving it awhile to let any stored charge in the capacitors to dissipate. The error code that generated trans prog will be stored in the main ecu however, and needs to be cleared. It would be a big help to get the codes that your transprog is throwing. It could be temp, solenoids, speed sensor, etc. The valve bodies are a known issue.
Before doing an electrical biopsy, I'd see if I could get those codes and if its not resolved by that, get my hands on a known good tranny control from a guy like kirt koeller.

As far as the engine, its pretty tough. I see this is your second post. I don't suppose you know what type of engine block you have? You may have nikisilitis, with a complication of the ZF 5HP30 wallet tapeworm.

jmccartney
12-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Tim - Thanks for the reply... The transmission is fine, or was, so i assume my bone-headed move just sent a bunch of error codes. I will open the e-box and disconnect the ecm overnight.

Thanks!

halogen2
08-21-2005, 07:14 PM
hi, can you please help me with trans prog message error, and do u know any site where i can get a scanned copy on the net of bentley bmw 5 series manual for 525i bmw on the net for free for 1991 model . thanx anyways. ciao

shogun
08-21-2005, 08:06 PM
What car and engine do you have? Because you posted also on the 7 series board the same question and I answered there already. I do not have a Bentley copy, bought a real one as book.
Haynes-not that good as Bentley- you can find on my website
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/auto.htm

Kalevera
08-21-2005, 08:16 PM
hi, can you please help me with trans prog message error, and do u know any site where i can get a scanned copy on the net of bentley bmw 5 series manual for 525i bmw on the net for free for 1991 model . thanx anyways. ciao
buy the bentley book, man.

You just bought an expensive car. These cars don't work well with things done on the cheap. The Bentley is the best 50 bucks you'll ever spend on the car, and the guys who wrote it deserve every penny they make.

Buy the book, don't be a dick.

best, whit