PDA

View Full Version : Help...Freezing rain here in Mpls, Icing over windshield.

DanH
12-20-2004, 07:55 AM
My windshield was icing over this morning on the way to work due to it raining at 19F(<= Instant ICE Sheet) and I had defrost going full high and I could only clear the bottom third of the windshield while going 40-50mph. When I got off of the freeway, I could get it to clear 2/3rds of the way going 25-35mph.

Do I need a new blower or what else could it be? (The blower is making noise...bad bearings.) Heater core problem? It was getting hot in the car but still the windshield would not stay clear after I started driving on the freeway.

Thanks.

winfred
12-20-2004, 09:35 AM
move to a warmer climate! it's possible if your car has a microfilter it's dirty and restricting airflow, otherwise id say it's too ****ing cold

rickm
12-20-2004, 10:01 AM
move to a warmer climate! it's possible if your car has a microfilter it's dirty and restricting airflow, otherwise id say it's too ****ing cold

Got great wipers? 19 is nothing, it was 4 here in NC this morning. -13 when you factor in that juicy 23mph wind out of the north. :P

Brian C.
12-20-2004, 10:20 AM
....tonight!!! 40 above that is. Of course, I'm in Miami and anything below 65 and people start lighting their fireplaces! A bit windy so the chill goes through the only "warm" clothes that most of us own. It feels great though. I love it!!

Brian C.
:D

billb
12-20-2004, 11:02 AM
....tonight!!! 40 above that is. Of course, I'm in Miami and anything below 65 and people start lighting their fireplaces! A bit windy so the chill goes through the only "warm" clothes that most of us own. It feels great though. I love it!!

Brian C.
:D

damn sinobronchitis...got me staying home from work today too. It's a whopping 19 out there now. My power steering pump on the E30 does NOT like temperatures below 20F (noisy as heck at first).

DanH
12-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Yesterday when I went to work it was -9F thats was fine, but today it was 19 and raining, that is no fun. It is not supposed to rain at 13 degrees below the freezing point!

It was much worse for the people that were driving a couple hours after me, the roads turned to ice rinks. Seems that there are about 10-20 multi-car crashes / rollovers / spinouts on the area freeways in the last hour.

Looks like a good day for the body shops.

DanH
12-20-2004, 12:09 PM
How do I get the microfilter out?

peks
12-20-2004, 12:45 PM
watup dan
our 89s have no microfilter im pretty sure.
get a new blowermotor. and warm up the car before you leave home.
wish me luck, im going to risk my life driving to school on that ice, and then i have to take my last final for this sem.

peks
12-20-2004, 12:48 PM
My power steering pump on the E30 does NOT like temperatures below 20F (noisy as heck at first).

my power steering pump on my e34 does the same. just started it up and it made a loud racket for about 5-10 seconds.. about 20 here

DanH
12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
I didnt think there was a microfilter on the 89s either.

ok, here goes: Good luck that exam! and keep the dynamics under control so you dont change your car into a static object, you have enough dents in there as it is...

hopefully that ice clears up by 4pm... it would have taken me another half hour+ to get to work with the clogged freeways if i waited much longer than the 15 minutes I did for my car to warm up.

JonE
12-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi Dan,
I was probably on the road in Mpls. after you today, "freeway was like a parking lot". I knew I shoulda put on my snow tires this last weekend, very slippery this morning! I don't think you have a microfilter either, my '90 didn't. If there is plenty of air blowing out on the windshield, and it is warm air, I think you just got caught in one of those rare sleet freezing on the road and windshields scenarios. It can get very difficult to "de-ice" when the freezing rain is constantly being replenished and refreezing on the windshield. I bet you didn't have any problems yesterday when it was -9 degrees for just "de-fogging" the windshield.

DanH
12-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Here are a few interesting pics in last few minutes...

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/danh/rollover.jpg
Oops...

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/danh/rollover2.jpg
Nice parking spot.
And another...
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/danh/crash.jpg

Dave M
12-20-2004, 05:45 PM
-36.5 degrees celcius is @ -40 degrees farenheit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Misc/fire.jpg

Yesterday when I went to work it was -9F thats was fine, but today it was 19 and raining, that is no fun. It is not supposed to rain at 13 degrees below the freezing point!

It was much worse for the people that were driving a couple hours after me, the roads turned to ice rinks. Seems that there are about 10-20 multi-car crashes / rollovers / spinouts on the area freeways in the last hour.

Looks like a good day for the body shops.