PDA

View Full Version : Very cold start 530i

uberhahn
12-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Forgive my ignorance. I'm a new (as in 24hrs new) owner. As the sig states, '94 530i 5-speed with a hair over 90k miles. Here in Michigan, it was -2 deg F. Naturally, my question relates to a very cold start.

The engine starts immediately. The idle jumps to approx 1500 and stays there for approx 10 sec. and then drops to what I assume should be around 750rpm. However, the low idle never holds, and the engine shuts down. I have to keep the throttle pressed in order for the engine to remain running.

I have not yet bought the service manuals (let alone the Hayes), so I need a little help. Without taking it to the dealer, what can I do to test and root cause? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-uberhahn

Derek A.
12-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Sounds like an intake manifold leak, pretty common on the BMW v8's. A the weather gets colder the rubber around the intake ports contracts and leaks, does it get better as the motor warms up ?

632 Regal
12-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Where at uberman? Im in N. Oakland county finding similar symptoms. Maybe a group beer buy and a few gaskets and we'll be in the clear?