PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Head Unit Question

rommel
12-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Sorry Guys, I know this has been discussed in the forums in the past but I have a few more questions. I would like to replace my head unit because I want to install XM. I will look for a head unit that may match the orange lighting of my dash. I also want a round volume know and not the buttons.

1. Did you guys use the stereo wiring adapter?
2. Will the new unit go through the factory amp without noise/problems?

I know that my current changer will not work with my new unit because of the cable configuration. I may attemp to decipher the harness to make it work with the new unit.

I've tried using the fm modulator but it sounds like crap. I've tried three different adapters from Crutchfield. The cassette adapter does not work also, it just keeps on reversing side, again I tried numerous brand adapters.

Thanks,
rommel
'90 535i 5spd
362K Miles

rommel
12-18-2004, 02:06 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/rommel/Harness.jpg

DanDombrowski
12-18-2004, 06:27 PM
If you get the adapters from circuit city to connect a new head unit, you will need to modify them, as they are wired incorrectly. Its a simple disconnect and re-connect, but be aware of it.

You will need to disconnect power antenna wire from the headunit and connect the 'remote' line in the head unit in its place. I wrote up something detailed on it once, I'll have to find it and put it on my website.