PDA

View Full Version : Stupid bleeder....

qball
12-17-2004, 07:21 PM
So I finally got around to replacing to t-stat and when I went to bleed the cooling system the stinking bleeder screw broke off. :( I got a new one from the stealer but can anybody give me a clue as to how I can remove to broken part still firmly lodged in my radiator? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

George Davis
12-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Cripes, what a pain. I'd try cutting (maybe scratching is a better term) a slot in the top of the broken piece, until a small flat screwdriver blade can be fit into it. Good luck!

Garlic Breath
12-17-2004, 08:26 PM
So I finally got around to replacing to t-stat and when I went to bleed the cooling system the stinking bleeder screw broke off. :( I got a new one from the stealer but can anybody give me a clue as to how I can remove to broken part still firmly lodged in my radiator? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I just used a sharp screwdriver to make a groove, back and forth a few times for the tip to catch and it just unscrewed out.

632 Regal
12-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Winfred says heat the end of the screwdriver up and melt a gouge in it, remove it, let it cool and then unscrew it...what could be simpler?

I can see me melting my way to china...LOL

qball
12-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Got it!!! I tried to cut/melt a slot in the top of what was left of the bleeder but it just kept tearing out. I finally took a drill bit that was just smaller than the remains of the screw and VERY carefully drilled out what was left. Then with a VERY small scredriver peeled the rest away from the threads. Inserted the new bleeder and away we go. Thanks for everything you guys do on this board. You all are truly an indispensable resource.