PDA

View Full Version : AAARGH....how frustrating...

Kalevera
12-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Well, as some of you may know, my car hasn't had reverse since I bought it. All of the forward gears seem fine, it upshifts and downshifts smoothly, engine braking is good...

Today, I made the mistake of going to the local service guys to see what they had to say about it whilst getting anally raped over a pair of 225/60/15's ($170 mounted...yeah, I got raped). I also mentioned a few of the other issues that the car has - no speedo, EML always on.

Their response to the trans query: you need a new unit...the reverse is always the first to go -- wait, I thought this was a computer/solenoid issue?! I got skeptical after I heard that they didn't have any of the diagnostics to check into the other problems (and therefore, gave up on them).

So...I'm vacillating between having that sinking feeling in my stomach and thinking - "those people don't know how to fix anything except a chevy 350."

I picked it up after getting raped on the tires and it drove quite nicely...no more shimmy from the flat spots on the tires. Right now, I'm just frustrated...because I'm pretty sure that this is an electrical issue. I get a clicking sound - like a stuck solenoid - when I put it in reverse...sometimes it will start to move.

I'm going to drive this thing 400 miles tomorrow. I hope it makes it -- wish me luck ;)

If all else fails, the corpulent guy at the local NAPA offered me $900 for it...After paying that, and investing $1000 in parts (plus my time) into it....what an insult....hahaha

Guess I'll have to take it to Koala MSP when I get to Cleveland...anybody know of any other reputable BMW mechanics in the area...who actually know something...besides Brett Anderson? I'd prefer to do the work myself, but I don't know of any garages that will let me do that...

LOWELL

Martin in Bellevue
12-17-2004, 07:06 PM
You'd do well to consider the 5 speed manual transmission conversion. Don Gale converted his 735. All of the hard parts are available used; some of us hang on to that junk. Doing the work with friends would prolly keep the costs under $1,500.

Kalevera
12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Martin - yes, I've dreamed of doing that...but I'm not sure where I could do the work...I'm pretty sure I could find the parts..

632 Regal
12-17-2004, 07:54 PM
I believe you have the GM trans, Winfred knows something about these things. The reverse basket could be broken and that why (obviously) no reverse. If you have decent mechanical apptitude you could do it yourself, albeit it might not work right if you flip a couple clips upside down. Might want to find a decent used one and pop that in or use that while you test tune your own trans rebuild.

Speaking of 350 chevys I started with a t-400 trans and went through a learning curve but then I got to the point where people would complain about how hard they would shift into 3rd gear that they were afraid it was gonna rip their seats off the floor boards. I told them I could fix that too.

winfred
12-17-2004, 09:59 PM
535 no got frog built chevy tranny, that's the zf 4hp22eh, the common problem with those is only reverse or a more advanced case is nothing at all, i don't generally go beyond the a-clutch repair. i can't remember exactly but i've herd about reverse problem repairs on the eh but it's rare enough that i haven't had to deal with one and don't know the issue

I believe you have the GM trans.

632 Regal
12-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Kirt Koeller
europetransman@hotmail.com
direct (616)748-5735

Kalevera
12-17-2004, 10:59 PM
I sent him an email - he didn't respond. Time to get on the phone. Thanks for the number, Jeff.