PDA

View Full Version : Fuse #9 burns out every time heater blower is turned on!

nywesson
12-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Hello All,

I am attempting to diagnose a problem I am having in regard to fuse # 9, and why it keeps blowing out every time I turn on the cabin fan for the heater? It seems that when I jump the aux. fan plug contacts, (plug off the pass. side of the radiator), I get the "high" fan setting to work, but no go for the "low" setting, although I do hear the relay clicking. I thought that the reason the fuse keeps going is because the aux. fan jumps directly to the high setting without being able to "step up" through the low, and that the 15 amp fuse in # 9 is not able to handle the draw? But, when I put a good fuse in, ignition on, (so far, so good...), then turn on the blower motor dial... ZAP! bye-bye love potion # 9! Although the aux fan never came on? What am I missing here? Does this all point to the ballast resistor on the front of the aux. fan?

I have yet to change out the ballast resistor, or check the draw from the inside fan. I disconnected the aux. fan switch from the side of the radiator, and also pulled both relays, thinking that this MIGHT keep fuse # 9 from blowing out. No luck. I imagine one thing has, (more or less), nothing to do with the other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

632 Regal
12-17-2004, 05:49 PM
sounds like your sword is totally shorted out, pull it out and have a peek. Check the risistance and let us know what you find out.

nywesson
12-17-2004, 10:32 PM
sounds like your sword is totally shorted out, pull it out and have a peek. Check the risistance and let us know what you find out.

Thanks Jeff, will do. Does my 1992 525i manual 5 spd. even have a "sword"?

Dan