PDA

View Full Version : weird problem, (CCM, zbe people bill?) dome lights, locks, windows don't work......

ryan roopnarine
12-16-2004, 04:13 AM
and no, let me start off by saying i don't think its the fusible link (when that blows, the radio and obc go with it, and they are currently still functional). i went out to my car, and tried to unlock the doors. i thought athat maybe my battery was flat, so i emer. unlocked the passenger one, and opened the driver's door. put the key in the ignition, everything lights up OK, and car starts. my testing so far: wipers only work at highest speed, windows don't work, glovebox light doesn't work, dome lights will NOT come on with the door switches, but will if one switches them on manually, locks don't work, power mirror DOES work. i have no daylight here, so i couldn't check all of the fuses yet. anybody care to suggest something (like a module or a relay) that's maybe flaky? a similar situation with the wipers happened about 3 months ago....they would stop working in all positions, but after i hit the backseat modules and relays with the palm of my hands, they would begin to work within minutes again. ANYBODY PLEEEEEAAASSSEEE help. TIA.

KeithW '91 535i
12-16-2004, 04:30 AM
car with no corrosion on it. I pulled apart the fuseable link and the link looks perfect. Under the seat, driver's side, there are relay modules and fuses. I tried changing the General Relay module and all the 30 amp fuses surrounding it. No change. Plus, it is intermittant. Comes and goes. At night, the illumination of the light switch cluster goes on a steady flicker. Prior to this PITA, when it rains, sometimes the electric central door locks stopped working. Now this. One of us will figure it out then we'll both know! I e-mailed to BillR and have tried all he suggested. It HAS to be relay related. Or a bad contact somewhere.

Rory
12-16-2004, 07:17 AM
car with no corrosion on it. I pulled apart the fuseable link and the link looks perfect. Under the seat, driver's side, there are relay modules and fuses. I tried changing the General Relay module and all the 30 amp fuses surrounding it. No change. Plus, it is intermittant. Comes and goes. At night, the illumination of the light switch cluster goes on a steady flicker. Prior to this PITA, when it rains, sometimes the electric central door locks stopped working. Now this. One of us will figure it out then we'll both know! I e-mailed to BillR and have tried all he suggested. It HAS to be relay related. Or a bad contact somewhere.
Did either of you actually remove the fusible link to see if it crumbles upon removal? On my old E34 I had similar symptoms and the fusible link looked fine. When I loosened the bolts and removed it the link crumbled into a couple pieces, but it did look just fine sitting in the little black box. Start simple and remove and check or even replace the <$1 link before you waste time troubleshooting this elsewhere.

Regards,
Rory

Bill R.
12-16-2004, 09:07 AM
s700 it helps to know exactly what year and model you have if i'm going to look at the schematics for it... That said the general module is still the device that controls all the functions that your having problems with, it then sends a signal to the relay module which contains a number of relays which actuate the devices...So either of those or the grounds for them or the power feed from the battery to them will affect how they function. As i've stated before the battery must be disconnected before unplugging the general module and before plugging it back in. And sometimes the general module will act wonky and you won't have some functions you had before. Usually just disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes resets it.

and no, let me start off by saying i don't think its the fusible link (when that blows, the radio and obc go with it, and they are currently still functional). i went out to my car, and tried to unlock the doors. i thought athat maybe my battery was flat, so i emer. unlocked the passenger one, and opened the driver's door. put the key in the ignition, everything lights up OK, and car starts. my testing so far: wipers only work at highest speed, windows don't work, glovebox light doesn't work, dome lights will NOT come on with the door switches, but will if one switches them on manually, locks don't work, power mirror DOES work. i have no daylight here, so i couldn't check all of the fuses yet. anybody care to suggest something (like a module or a relay) that's maybe flaky? a similar situation with the wipers happened about 3 months ago....they would stop working in all positions, but after i hit the backseat modules and relays with the palm of my hands, they would begin to work within minutes again. ANYBODY PLEEEEEAAASSSEEE help. TIA.

winfred
12-16-2004, 09:32 AM
i go with bill said and add a possible but unlikely, theres a relay that powers up the gm and rm that could be dieing (but you have some power so it may not be the problem) i can't remember the exact position it's on the trunk side of the under seat e-box closest to the door and usually yellow if i remember right

winfred
12-16-2004, 09:36 AM
the under seat battery cars have the link almost hidden in the harness a foot or two forward of the battery in the wires by the rocker panel it's riveted shrink taped and fun to replace

Did either of you actually remove the fusible link to see if it crumbles upon removal? On my old E34 I had similar symptoms and the fusible link looked fine. When I loosened the bolts and removed it the link crumbled into a couple pieces, but it did look just fine sitting in the little black box. Start simple and remove and check or even replace the <$1 link before you waste time troubleshooting this elsewhere.

Regards,
Rory

ryan roopnarine
12-16-2004, 10:15 AM
s700 it helps to know exactly what year and model you have if i'm going to look at the schematics for it... That said the general module is still the device that controls all the functions that your having problems with, it then sends a signal to the relay module which contains a number of relays which actuate the devices...So either of those or the grounds for them or the power feed from the battery to them will affect how they function. As i've stated before the battery must be disconnected before unplugging the general module and before plugging it back in. And sometimes the general module will act wonky and you won't have some functions you had before. Usually just disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes resets it.

thanks bill,

model is 1992 525i
production date is 07-1991
vin.... is nbj69195

appreciate it.

KeithW '91 535i
12-16-2004, 12:42 PM

Regards,
Rory