PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP: EMERGENCY UNLOCK For gas tank door .....

ryan roopnarine
12-16-2004, 04:07 AM
for some reason, (see other post on board), my locks are non operational. i emergency opened the pass. door to gain entry. i drove around in this condition until i needed to get gas (light came on) and realised that the door was stuck shut until the locks became functional. can somebody describe to me how to unlock this or maybe pick it open? i'd hate to have to break it if i can't get the locks working within short order. (perhaps the picking procedure will become obvious to me in the daylight). thanks.

Mobius
12-16-2004, 04:36 AM
Honestly, I haven't looked closely at the latch mechanism to tell you how to UN lock it. However, the lock is accomplished by a metal pin that engages a small plastic piece. That small plastic piece (according to this (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&prod=19921000&btnr=41_0814&hg=41&fg=25)) is far from expensive. You can probably find enough change in your seats to replace it if you have to bust the thing open.

It also looks like the solenoid is held in place with a single screw, so if you get behind the carpet there, it should be pretty simple to pull the whole deal out.

Rory
12-16-2004, 07:07 AM
for some reason, (see other post on board), my locks are non operational. i emergency opened the pass. door to gain entry. i drove around in this condition until i needed to get gas (light came on) and realised that the door was stuck shut until the locks became functional. can somebody describe to me how to unlock this or maybe pick it open? i'd hate to have to break it if i can't get the locks working within short order. (perhaps the picking procedure will become obvious to me in the daylight). thanks.
Take out the trim piece on the Passenger's side of the trunk. You will see the actuator and the gas cap emergency release lever at the gas tank level on the inside/trunk area of the car. No special tools needed to unlock the gas cap. Once you have the gas cap unlocked you may want to figure out if the actuator to the gas cap is broken or if it is something with your central locks.

Good Luck,
Rory

ryan roopnarine
12-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Take out the trim piece on the Passenger's side of the trunk. You will see the actuator and the gas cap emergency release lever at the gas tank level on the inside/trunk area of the car. No special tools needed to unlock the gas cap. Once you have the gas cap unlocked you may want to figure out if the actuator to the gas cap is broken or if it is something with your central locks.

Good Luck,
Rory

i done did seen it :^) that was relatively painless. i had somebody that had to do the emergency release on a merced. 560 try to find the release, we both thought it was level with the gas tank instead of way up there under the jack concealment trim, so we didn't find it. imma put some gas in now and hope bill can give me some insight as to what i need to resolder (replace :^() the contacts on, which relay i need to buy, et cetera. thanks. if i remember, i'll take a pic of it for everyone elses benefit.

DanH
12-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Check the fuses under the back seat to see if any have blown if you haven't already. There are about 3 fuses for the central locking system.

I had trouble with locks before and tried many things to try fix the problem. Finally, I found those hidden cls fuses and one was blown... new fuse and everything works.