PDA

View Full Version : Radio Station Illumination

Don
12-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Today the windowon the radio that displays the station became very dim. I suspect that a llight bulb or LED has burned out

Can anyone tell me how to replace the necessary bulb or LED

Thanks,

Don

Rory
12-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Today the windowon the radio that displays the station became very dim. I suspect that a llight bulb or LED has burned out

Thanks,

Don
Don,

Find out which radio you have (Alpine or Pioneer) and contact the manufacturer. Give them the model number of the radio. They will tell you that you need 3 (maybe 4) bulbs for the screen and the buttons. Order a couple extra....(don't ask, got to do this twice because they told me the wrong number of bulbs).

Pull the head unit and move to a work bench. I don't remember off hand how to open the radio but it was very obvious looking at the back and bottom. I believe there are a couple screws on the back but it has been a few years since I did this. Once the cover is off you can see the bulbs on the front. You will need to de-solder the current ones and re-solder the new ones in. You only need to replace the dead one but I would recommend doing them all while you are in there. Parts should be <$5 shipped and it can be done in 25 minutes if you are descent with a soldering iron. Installation is reverse of removal.

Good Luck,
Rory

Bill R.
12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Radio light fix
(http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejsnord/radio.htm)

Thanks,

Don