PDA

View Full Version : 1993 525i lock problems in cold weather

chapmanw
12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Just wondering if anybody else is having cold weather(-15degrees celsius) problems with their locks. I notice i have to wiggle the key for a little while before i can unlock the doors. seems like there's never a problem locking them after driving. I have applied lock lubricant but it seems the same. The next time, I'm going to apply lock de-icer. it says spray then wait 30 seconds. think it gets rid of moisture or just applies heat?

Any other good solutions?

I'm also aware that there is a driver's door lock heater when the handle is lifted. Didn't seem to help today. Maybe it needed more time but I opened it with the usual wiggling of the key.

bimmerd00d
12-15-2004, 06:17 PM
pull up on the door handle while the car is locked for 30 seconds
then try unlocking. If i remember correctly, the locking mechanisms are heated.

wengenstein
12-16-2004, 01:35 PM
I've got a cold weather lock problem. In cold weather (starting probably around 0 C) my front passenger door will not lock along with all the other doors when I hit the lock button on my key. I think something in the mechanism must be worn. After I lock it manually a couple times it'll work once or twice but then it goes back to it's usual cold weather non-operation. It's as if the actuator is not trying hard enough in cold weather :)

Dennis