PDA

View Full Version : OT: going to check a out an '87 528e

tim
12-15-2004, 03:01 PM
for a friend to get for his daughter whose getting her licence. He was going to get some econobox, but I convinced him to think about an old bimmer. I've seen the car and it looks really nice, but a couple rust bubbles. 150k. Serviced by my indy for the last 5 years. $3000.

what's the story on these.

billb
12-15-2004, 03:06 PM
for a friend to get for his daughter whose getting her licence. He was going to get some econobox, but I convinced him to think about an old bimmer. I've seen the car and it looks really nice, but a couple rust bubbles. 150k. Serviced by my indy for the last 5 years. $3000.

issues we had: front end shimmies (we're used to that in our E34s), a/c woes (condenser leaks), distributor cap broke, guibo, it's overall a slug of a car. At that mileage, start looking for tranny problems, fuel pumps, all the relays, window motor issues, head gasket, catalytic converter, preemptive fuse replacement to prevent dead speedo and cluster. They're pretty tough, but do have their issues. Ours was an '86 528e that we sold in '99.

Springfield1952
12-15-2004, 03:21 PM
That seems really high priced for that car. I sold my '84 533i almost 7 years ago for $4,000 and the 533i should get more money than a 528e. My 2 cents . . .

Curt.

jjg43
12-15-2004, 03:52 PM

...this past April. The car has 104,000 miles and no rust. $3,000 is way too high for a seriously underpowered car that is starting too rust. The E28 535im is sweet though.

Phil

Warren N.CA
12-15-2004, 03:56 PM

tim
12-15-2004, 04:11 PM
I just got back. It was a different car than I thought but a 528e nonetheless. 93k original owner full records. Perfect exterior, silver/beige. Perfect interior, beige leather. Motor looked good and the a/c compressor looked newish. New rubber on the cooling system, and on the wheels.

Drove it, and it felt pretty tight. (now it's hard for me coming from a tricked out 540i). That 2.8 ain't much, that's for sure, but my friend thought it was appropriate for the task. Needs a brake job and a muffler.

I can see why the guy wants 3k. This is real, real nice. I was thinking about saying $2500. My friend was blown away by it, but is in no hurry.