PDA

View Full Version : dash problems e34 535i 1988

colin jenkins
12-15-2004, 02:57 PM
all the dash illumination is fine, but fuel gauge /temp/rev counter /service lights etc usually fail within a couple of seconds of driving.its probably a loose wire:just hoping if anyone has had this problem and knew where to start ?

Warren N.CA
12-15-2004, 04:03 PM
replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the cluster.- An easy job for someone with serious electronics skills. Also, the multi-terminal connectors should be cleaned, and doused with the "magic Canadian elixer," Stabilant 22.

all the dash illumination is fine, but fuel gauge /temp/rev counter /service lights etc usually fail within a couple of seconds of driving.its probably a loose wire:just hoping if anyone has had this problem and knew where to start ?

colin jenkins
12-16-2004, 01:22 PM
replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the cluster.- An easy job for someone with serious electronics skills. Also, the multi-terminal connectors should be cleaned, and doused with the "magic Canadian elixer," Stabilant 22.
thanks - ill give it a go

Jason
12-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Right now i just get time and date and its tough to scroll back and forth between the two. All of the fucntions on the OBC are working, but I can't bring them up on the dash. I have already taken the cluster out, removed the connectors and reinstalled and that helped with the instrument fuction. I Don't trust my skills to do the capacitors.