PDA

View Full Version : Car computer, amplifying the sound?

casurfer911
12-15-2004, 05:14 AM
I am planning on installing a car computer in a few weeks and was wondering Since e34's already have an external amplifier, will i need to amplify the sound comming out of the computer, or can i just send it straight into the inputs for the amplifier? How does that work

bahnstormer
12-15-2004, 09:31 AM
your oem amp has no extra input spots...u'd have to splice into the oem wiring

Tiger
12-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Use the second inputs in front speakers that is used for cell phone... BMW front speakers on the bottom has dual terminals... one for stereo and other for phone.

If you have aftermarket stereo, you can use aux input but that would require you set your stereo to aux to hear it.

casurfer911
12-15-2004, 08:12 PM
i was planning on getting rid of my head unit and splicing it into the wiring on the amp. I was wondering if the computer will be loud enough for the amp or if will need another amp?

Tiger
12-15-2004, 11:39 PM
it should be loud enough... computer speaker is practically the same thing as car amp... although weaker one...

Jon K
12-16-2004, 06:15 AM
it should be loud enough... computer speaker is practically the same thing as car amp... although weaker one...

No... you will need an external variable gain amplifier or a headunit with an aux in. Ask me how i know ;) The stock amp is fixed gain, its much too quiet and it also distorts. The sends from the 1/8" audio card are low level preamp... its too faint. Any questions, feel free to ask, i specialize in car pcs.

casurfer911
12-16-2004, 07:14 AM
You can't just use the volume control on the computer and use a fixed gain amp? or will that give static at low volumes? I dont want to spend more money on another head unit and then have to find somewhere to put it, so where can i find a v.g.a that will work for this job, i dont know where to start? thanks for your help jon

Jon K
12-16-2004, 06:16 PM
You can't just use the volume control on the computer and use a fixed gain amp? or will that give static at low volumes? I dont want to spend more money on another head unit and then have to find somewhere to put it, so where can i find a v.g.a that will work for this job, i dont know where to start? thanks for your help jon

I have an LCD headunit so i have a dual display setup because of my additional VGA screen. I did a setup in a couple E46's where its just a VGA screen, we tapped the stock amp, but it doesn't get loud enough. You really really need an amplifier with gain adjustment, there's no other way. Sorry bro. Oh, you could get a line-level converter to adjust low level to higher variable level, but it sounds like doo doo throughthe stock amps