PDA

View Full Version : resonator replacement question

kentish
12-15-2004, 04:39 AM
hi to everyone

Going to removemy center resonator as its rusting and losing exhaust gas. new one is too costly($1000)

If the pipes are 2.25 inch ,should I be going to 3 inch to reduce resonace or can i use 2.25 inch.

Kentish
540iA 1994

DanH
12-15-2004, 12:15 PM
If your resonator still has some good steel left in it, you might be able to patch up the rust holes with some galvanized sheet metal (the kind used for roofing, comes in rolls) and rivets. This will work for quite a while for cheap, and you can save up some cash to replaced it later. I did this to a large hole rusted through my muffler last year and it still is holding up nicely.

-Trim the worst parts of the exhaust off to make the holes easier to cover with the sheet metal. (i.e. the stuff that shakes and rattles)
-Use a wire brush and steel wool to clean the rust off of it.
-Seal the metal to the resonator with high temp epoxy before riveting.
-Cover up the decayed parts of the resonator with sheet metal and drill rivet holes about every inch or so all the way around the rusted parts, then pop rivets.

This can be done without removing the exhaust if the top of the resonator is still good.

kentish
12-15-2004, 12:25 PM
thanks for the info. Will try o do that this saturday

Hope it works out well. Its not a very big hole, Its near the last hanger where the resonator connects to the two pipes leading to te rear muffler. Unfortunately i dont have pics

kentish