PDA

View Full Version : 1995 530i Nikasil Problem

f1restarter
12-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Hi, im new to BMW cars and about a week ago purchased a '95 530i Automatic from the local BMW dealership with 95K miles on it. I was not informed of this known and a serious problem with the M60 engine that can fail anytime and be very costly to repair. Since im new here and don't know if this has already been discussed but any suggestions what can be done to fix this problem. Another thing which seemed a bit strange is that when i asked the BMW salesman for a warranty he totally declined and gave some lame excuse about how the dealership is not big enough financially to cover extended warranties, im beginning to think the Nikasil problem may be the reason. Any useful suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Craig
12-15-2004, 01:58 AM
Do you think the car has an issue with it? Not all cars do, yours may be perfectly fine.

The best thing to do is get a leakdown test done and go from there, if the numbers come back OK you're probably not going to have much trouble with it.

Enjoy the car. :)

Gordie
12-15-2004, 09:19 AM
I had exactly the same concerns about a year ago after I bought my 95' 530. There is a way to check your engine block casting numbers to tell if you have a Nikasil block or if it has been replaced. Go to this site for the codes:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/v8shortblock.htm

It turned out that my car had a late build date and by then the Alusil bocks were being used. Good luck.

Tiger
12-15-2004, 09:42 AM
If your engine made it this far, it will last long time.

632 Regal
12-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Mine is Nika and runs fine. Lots of miles too, if the thing runs smooth your probably fine.

wengenstein
12-15-2004, 12:08 PM
werd.

I've got about 137K on a nik block and the idle is absolutly smooth. If it werent for the vaccuum leak I developed over the last couple weeks you'd hardly know it was running :)

If your worried, get a leakdown test. If the idle is smooth and the previous owner used only high octane (i.e., low sulfer) gas then I'd agree with Tiger, you'll prolly never have a problem with it. The nikasil issue has been discussed ad nauseum (sp?), I'm sure you'll find no shortage if info here if you just search on "nikasil"...or even "nikky" :)

Dennis

Elekta
12-15-2004, 05:06 PM
87420m and lovin every nikky of it.

632 Regal
12-15-2004, 05:36 PM
I think BMW covers engine replacement within 100k miles so if it checks out bad have it replaced NOW! ...but it will pass fine.

Tiger
12-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Yep, I love my nikky too.

f1restarter
12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Thank you all for your helpful info. I did speak to BMW USA and the lady in CC told me that since the 6 year warranty time has run out but if the problem arises then to call them back and see what options they'll have since they take case per case basis. Maybe the fact that i bought the car from a BMW dealership might work in my favor if the car fails the "leakdown" test.

DueyT
12-15-2004, 06:15 PM
165,000 km and my Nikky-powered beast is just fine! :D

f1restarter
12-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Just got a call from the BMW service dept. about the Leak test being postponed till tomorrow so i guess i'll have to keep my fingers crossed and pray!

632 Regal
12-15-2004, 06:29 PM
They could tell you anything they want but if its on paper you have something. Buying it at a BMW dealership is definetly a plus!!

How did it run when you had it?

Make sure you let us know whats up with this thing too.

drice
12-15-2004, 06:37 PM
a few years back. I have since learned that a dealership usually won't even run the leakdown test unless the car has an excessively rough idle (a little rocking at idle is normal due to agressive cam timing). My car now has 128,000 trouble-free miles and a smooth idle, so I no longer worry about Nikasil. However, I'm still not happy with the jerk who sold it to me. He was a BMW expert and I wasn't, so he knew about the issue and I didn't.

f1restarter
12-15-2004, 06:52 PM
They could tell you anything they want but if its on paper you have something. Buying it at a BMW dealership is definetly a plus!!

How did it run when you had it?

Make sure you let us know whats up with this thing too.
The car ran perfectly when i test drove it and has been running great all week. The only thing that i noticed was that the coolant level dropped about an inch in two days so i told them to check into that (the car has been in the BMW shop since Monday) and change water pump, trans oil, eng oil, oil filter etc. The rpm needle was perfectly still when idle and no shakes as well. Good idea about having the leak test report on paper. Like i said the thing that made me a bit uneasy was BMW dealership not offering any extended warranty on this car. My sister got a 95 C220 Mercedes and that dealership had no problems offering extended warranty even though she bought the car less than 2 years ago. Anyway this is my first BMW ever and hope it doesn't become the "Ultimate Dying Machine" for me! I'll keep you all posted about this.

Sweetwater
12-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Mine idles like a finely tuned German machine. It runs great and is fun to drive.

:p

f1restarter
12-15-2004, 07:10 PM
a few years back. I have since learned that a dealership usually won't even run the leakdown test unless the car has an excessively rough idle (a little rocking at idle is normal due to agressive cam timing). My car now has 128,000 trouble-free miles and a smooth idle, so I no longer worry about Nikasil. However, I'm still not happy with the jerk who sold it to me. He was a BMW expert and I wasn't, so he knew about the issue and I didn't.
I know what you mean drice, cause the sales guy at this BMW dealership seemed very knowledgeable and said there was nothing wrong with the engine and no problems were ever reported for this car other than the usual wear and tear (which is fine with me, ofcourse) but he failed to mention this very serious engine defect. My BMW dealership is charging me a pretty penny for the test ($250 est), so i think they're very happy to do it. I hope it passes the test cause i really love the drive of this car.

632 Regal
12-15-2004, 08:11 PM
but its worth the sweet smell of Nikasil in the morning.

ahhh.. my Nika

Johntee540
12-15-2004, 08:30 PM
I am an Ally as mine was replaced. But be advised that the idle could be several things. Leaky intake manifold gasket; Leaky ICV gasket; Leaky PCV Plate that can cause the rough Idle. Those are all manageable repairs from a cost standpoint. And a lot of folks here have done those repairs themselves. Mine has 174k on it and the PO had the engine replaced at 92 during all the Nikky hype. I just recently replaced the intake manifold gasket and PCV Plate Gaskets due to rough idle and check engine codes pointing to O2 sensors.

It runs perfectly now - I love my 5er. -= JT

MBXB
12-15-2004, 09:00 PM
150K+ and my Nikasil engine is fine.

632 Regal
12-15-2004, 09:25 PM
not like I care but just wondering. Nothing left to replace but that damn PCV plate I have put off for a couple years now.

winfred
12-15-2004, 09:32 PM
not like I care but just wondering. Nothing left to replace but that damn PCV plate I have put off for a couple years now.

632 Regal
12-15-2004, 09:34 PM

f1restarter
12-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Well guys, it seems christmas arrived a bit early this year! Just got an email from BMW USA and here is an excerpt:

"Our records
indicate that your vehicle does not fall into the range of vehicle's
where potentially the sulfur content in some grades of fuel reacted to
the Nikasil engine. Please note, for those vehicles in this range, BMW
had extended their original factory warranty by 2 years or 50,000 miles,
whichever occurred first.

The vehicle you purchased is not one of these vehicles. I hope this
information is helpful."

DueyT
12-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Well, mine has some points to it where it seems the harmonic balancer (Jeff, do these 8's have them) is off...around 900-1100 is one, and out-of-gear high idle around 1900-ish has a harmonic rumble/oscillation that is not the in-gear.

I don't really know how to characterize "smooth"...it is smoother than the other 'beast' in the garage?

Duey's other ride... (http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/Dus440A.wav) :D

winfred
12-15-2004, 10:40 PM
could you describe "smooth"?

632 Regal
12-15-2004, 10:48 PM

tim
12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
smooth like the beginning of 'welcome to the machine'?

632 Regal
12-15-2004, 10:54 PM
It seems to be out of balance at certain RPMs, where normal folks would call it a miss...but it goes away. Mine is the same as in the rpm range to the off balance situation as is yours...probably balanced off to the same rpms so it runs silky at autobahn RPMs. I dont burn oil or smoke or any crap but it does idle a bit tough at 550-600 like a miss. Probably that bastard PCP plate I dont look forward to.

The little motor in the racecar idled at 18-1900 and seemed smooth all the ways to 8500 but it was so loud and violent who cared about an extra vibe here or there.

Well, mine has some points to it where it seems the harmonic balancer (Jeff, do these 8's have them) is off...around 900-1100 is one, and out-of-gear high idle around 1900-ish has a harmonic rumble/oscillation that is not the in-gear.

I don't really know how to characterize "smooth"...it is smoother than the other 'beast' in the garage?

Duey's other ride... (http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/Dus440A.wav) :D

tim s
12-16-2004, 09:03 AM
drove myself nuts looking for the cause. several people said it is due to the cams being tuned for the higher rpm power band. i wish i knew this last year.
oh well, it will most likly need those new gaskets & parts any way.
tim s.

Elekta
12-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Well guys, it seems christmas arrived a bit early this year! Just got an email from BMW USA and here is an excerpt:

"Our records
indicate that your vehicle does not fall into the range of vehicle's
where potentially the sulfur content in some grades of fuel reacted to
the Nikasil engine. Please note, for those vehicles in this range, BMW
had extended their original factory warranty by 2 years or 50,000 miles,
whichever occurred first.

The vehicle you purchased is not one of these vehicles. I hope this
information is helpful."

I paid for three leakdowns in my quest for a 530iT. They ranged from $166 to over $300. I even had a small email meltdown with an owner of a gorgeous navy blue 530iT with white sport seats when I told him he had near Nik failure. I faxed him my results from a high dollar Westchester, NY BMW stealer, and he was real skeered I would tell the boards (which I did), and hurt is ebay sale. That was tough tourer to pass on, but I couldn't be happier with my silber on black.

Ask for the printouts. There should be 4-6 pages of bar graphs I think. 2 each for with and w/o load for Idle Quality, Pressure Distribution, and something else. There are other pages as well. These are helpful to time stamp the health of your motor, and can assist with future diag's.

The acceptable leak is less than 5% in any cylinder. I had 1.95 in cyl's 1 and 8; 1.99 (out of 2.00) in 5, 7, and 2, and 4,6, and 3 were perfect. If one cylinder shows more than a 5% leak then it's a failure. For me, if one was 4% I would be worried, because as the vets have told us, all Nik's fail eventually (we just live nearer the river in Africa than Aly's) The vets have also told us before-- that after 100k, if it goes, it will go in one day, so you need to know that going in so no one can hit you with the I toldja so.

Hint: this is not wifey information

632 Regal
12-16-2004, 11:17 AM
The vets have also told us before-- that after 100k, if it goes, it will go in one day

I don't believe this nonsence. Lets guess, you have an Alusil block.

ryan roopnarine
12-16-2004, 11:50 AM
this is the last time im going to say this....

the only 4l m60 engine blocks THAT WONT self destruct in 200k miles are the ones whose engine blocks were machined from a single piece of aluminum (multiple piece engines will self destruct as well) from a v-2 rocket. END OF STORY :^)

f1restarter
12-16-2004, 11:51 AM
"The acceptable leak is less than 5% in any cylinder. "

Thats strange cause i thought BMW had set the limit for leak down at 15%. Even in the articles online about the Nikasil issue say it has to be under 15%. Anyway you should be happy with such good results. Hope my results are good as the car is being tested right now in the BMW shop.

Elekta
12-16-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't believe this nonsence. Lets guess, you have an Alusil block.

That's funny. I am 100% nik my friend, but for the past 3.5 years I have read all the threads re this issue. Pretending that life with an Alusil is mentally equivalent to life with a Nik in terms of worry is well....pretending. I still sleep well at night however.

jus sayin

callen
12-16-2004, 12:05 PM
my 530's never been silky smooth...blocks been changed out...but with problems with intake gaskets, oil in plug holes, PCV valves, dual O2 sensors it's a challenge to keep it reasonably smooth. Have replaced all the above parts as well as intake boots so it is smoother than ever at 150K miles but still shimmy's every once in a while.......course compared to my 535 it does run like a swiss watch.

callen

Elekta
12-16-2004, 12:10 PM
"The acceptable leak is less than 5% in any cylinder. "

Thats strange cause i thought BMW had set the limit for leak down at 15%. Even in the articles online about the Nikasil issue say it has to be under 15%. Anyway you should be happy with such good results. Hope my results are good as the car is being tested right now in the BMW shop.

Here's my bar chart for pressure distr
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/barchart.jpg

f1restarter
12-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey thanks for the info 530iTouring.

Bill R.
12-16-2004, 12:35 PM
allow a maximum leaddown of 15% which to me is actually quite a bit... but thats the amount they allow....any engine with 5% would be doing extremely well.. normal ring leakage is going to be around that much.. some of the engines with total seal rings were down to 2 and 3% but most average at least 5% to 7% for street engines... 10% is considered the worn point for most cars, thats why i was surprised to see that bmw was using 15% which is stretching it a bit...

Here's my bar chart for pressure distr
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/barchart.jpg

Elekta
12-16-2004, 12:37 PM
^^^^^^^See, I toldja^^^^^^^^ I'd trust Bill for just about everything BMW. OPMV (our politics may vary ;) )

I am only slightly dangerous, so remember YMMV and I hope this helps. There are far more knowledgeable people on here than I.

I was just a very discerning buyer determined not to drive a 525iT.

I am also making the claim that infant snap and go car seats fit better in the middle, as do under 40lb toddler seats, and I am going to have both in my touring come may 14th when the newest arrives. I will have the Prego snap n go infant carrier (baby facing backward) in the middle and the Britax (black n silver) toddler facing forward behind the passenger seat. It does all fit, and I will prove it with digitals after the new year.

merry christmaskuh

tim
12-16-2004, 02:35 PM
BTW,

I have an alusil block and my idle was bumpy. Not to over-plug Mark, but my idle improved bigtime after I got an eat chip. I wonder if some of these issues could be electronic.

I think the nik issue is way overblown. All the bad nik's have gone bad. You can drive a german big block 8 for $5-10g's, with great styling and get really good at fixing things at the same time-what more do you want.

632 Regal
12-16-2004, 03:24 PM
smooth like the beginning of 'welcome to the machine'?

DueyT
12-16-2004, 06:06 PM
http://www.cfpilots.ca/forum/images/smilies/yellowrolleyes.gif...has anyone actually had a M60B30 or M60B40 reach 200,000mi...blown-up or not?

Not trying to stick my head in the sand, but I have not heard of a Nik M60 that has not worn out recently wearing out now. Anyone have any confirmed existence of motors making it through the '90s but melting down recently? http://www.cfpilots.ca/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

Cheers,
Duey

winfred
12-16-2004, 06:21 PM
had a 94 740 come in with 425xxx miles and it looked/ran good could of been a replacement but with that many miles at least one of them went a good long while