PDA

View Full Version : Changing Struts on Thursday

Hector
12-14-2004, 08:29 PM
What spring compressors to you guys use?

Garlic Breath
12-14-2004, 09:52 PM
What spring compressors to you guys use?

I borrowed a set from Autozone. You buy them then return them within 90 days and get a full refund regardless if you used them or not. I cleaned them before returning, just to be nice. $40 I think.

Little things that I found when I did mine.

#1 You may need a sawzaw or hacksaw.
When I was removing a strut bearing, one of the studs was just spinning in the housing. Chopping fixed that.

#2 Make sure you have the correct socket to remove the strut from the bearing. We welded a nut onto a socket for a quick fix but I wish I had the correct tool to cut down on time.

#3 Air tools
A must when using the spring compressor. You'll be there all day cranking by hand and really pissed.

bimmerd00d
12-14-2004, 09:56 PM
autozone ones are fine. I used an allen wrench to hold the strut while loosening the nut

winfred
12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
when using those crappy threaded rod type i like to use 3 on one spring instead of two, it's much safer as it spreads the load out and helps keep the compressors from slipping and letting the spring try to squirt out the side (it can get ugly, i watched a guy get hit in the nuts by a escaped spring while it launched the compressors the oposit direction)

Garlic Breath
12-14-2004, 10:33 PM
The ones I got from Autozone had the safety pins to help prevent slippage.

bimmerd00d
12-14-2004, 11:02 PM
nut death by spring. ouch.

632 Regal
12-14-2004, 11:18 PM
its not really that scary unless you watched captain kangaroo your whole life.

winfred
12-14-2004, 11:23 PM
isn't/wasn't mr green jeans related to ted nugent

its not really that scary unless you watched captain kangaroo your whole life.

Hector
12-15-2004, 12:11 PM
n/txt

DanH
12-15-2004, 01:41 PM
You might need a hacksaw for the large collar nuts holding the front shocks into the housing. I had to since they would not budge any other way.

Good Luck!

Kalevera
12-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Did you try a large monkey wrench? Gail notes that the collars can be removed easier while the strut housing is still installed in the car. Also, check the page for a picture of a nifty collar tightening tool.

I didn't run into this problem as my strut housings were gone anyway, and the whole thing had to be replaced.

Air tools make the job 1000% easier. Just don't use them when tightening up the strut mount bolts - I managed to break one of the bolts - F$#@% - and ended up whacking the remnants out and using one of the bolts from the old mount.

LOWELL

Mobius
12-16-2004, 04:41 AM
Also, check the page for a picture of a nifty collar tightening tool.Considering that I'm going to be doing this job myself this next week; can anyone point me in the direction of the proper collar tightening tool? I'd probably pick one up for this job..

Garlic Breath
12-16-2004, 07:42 AM
Considering that I'm going to be doing this job myself this next week; can anyone point me in the direction of the proper collar tightening tool? I'd probably pick one up for this job..
whoops wrong item n/m

winfred
12-16-2004, 09:18 AM
large pipe wrench aka monkey wrench or large channel locks sometimes called water pump pliers both do a good job

Considering that I'm going to be doing this job myself this next week; can anyone point me in the direction of the proper collar tightening tool? I'd probably pick one up for this job..

632 Regal
12-16-2004, 10:31 AM
tighten it again later when it starts making clunking noises.

Hector
12-17-2004, 01:30 AM
Well, today is Thursday and still haven't changed the leaking struts.... been too friggin busy at work. Got the BOGE hydraulic struts for the fronts only... I know, I know, why didn't I upgrade with a Sachs kit? Believe me, the thought crossed my mind many times but after recently spending so much cake on the top end, front end and the bottom end of the engine, and after Ives (BMA) gave me the load down on cost ($600+) I decided to maybe upgrade later. I should get a pretty good ride comfort if you couple the new struts with the stress bar I have currently installed. Man, I like this bar you can feel a noticeable improvement in handling... the front end of car feels pretty tight when cornering. I keep saying this but wanna throw some pics of my ride on the board when I get a chance. This'll give ya a chance to see my humble mods.

Speakin' of money car is due for a new driveshaft. This time I might just get one from BMP with the serviceable U-joints..., and too add insult to injury both upper control arms bushings are like Mr. Squiggly-Squooshy... WTF!!

Mobius
12-17-2004, 05:00 AM
large pipe wrench aka monkey wrench or large channel locks sometimes called water pump pliers both do a good job
Yeah, I know. I was just hoping someone would come in and say "oh, they're just typical strut collar tools, and they're like $5 at the local auto parts place"

Pushing my luck, I know. :)