PDA

View Full Version : Headlight removal procedure

kngpen
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Was going to install my Euro Angel Eye headlights' today and was wondering if someone had created a writeup procedure to make this easy as possible. If anyone else has done this please let know if there are any tips or secrets to the job (wiring or hardware install wise).

Cheers,

Joseph

winfred
12-13-2004, 11:22 PM
it's rather involved, long story short you take everything off of the front end but the hood and fenders

Incantation
12-14-2004, 03:26 AM
it's quite easy.. i installed my angel eyes and took photos of the whole process. of course i am not web savvy and haven't yet created a page on the procedure.

basically you only need to remove the kidney covers (chrome pieces) which will allow you to remove the strip underneath the lights (it's a solid piece left to right) .. this is done by poking at some clips with a long flat-head screwdriver. u should cover it with something so that you don't scratch the bumper accidentally and if you have someone there to hold it for you while you pry it off that will also be helpful.

that will expose your lights, which you can easily remove by undoing a number of bolts fastening the lights to the body.

then it's backwards from there.. put the lights in; tighten em, etc.

Wiring:
i ran the power wire for the right angel eye around the radiator below the hood (where it meets the front of the car) to the left side. after having connected the angel eye wires, you will have a power and ground (black and red), and also you will have two wires to connect to a switch (to turn them on).

Black: i used the bold for the sleeve that the hood slides into on the drivers side, fastening the wire there.
RED: by your fuse box is a positive terminal; you can connect the wire here; i was unsure how to undo it so I ended up using a hose clamp and fastened it tight so that it would close nicely
TWO wires: these i connected to the left bumper indicator, so that when it turns on, the angel eyes turn on.

as far as the actual lights themselves; I didn't have H1 lights so I had to get a wiring harness from lordco for a couple bucks to make the lights compatible. (mine and i think all stock e34 lights are 9005) once connected I had to aim them but they work great.. seem to be brighter than the previous lights.

done!

not as comprehensive or detailed as it could be.. you can pm or call me if you'd like a more detailed explanation

incidentally you may want to cover the top part of the light with some dark tape or something to cover up the top part of the rings. angel eyes aren't a full circle and don't look as good as a full circle. i have the carbon fibre eyelids which cover them somewhat but i used some shadowline tape to cover the top of the light (from about 10:30 to 1:30 on the face of the light) and it looks amazing.. it's not "white" like some of the newer ones but it's a hell of a lot better than stock lights.

hope this helps